Rebuild or replace Kohler 20 hp?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Westbrooklawn, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

To make a long story short, I had a blown head and intake gasket on a 20 hp Kohler Comand engine on a walker mower about a year ago. It took two different kohler mechanics and much lost time to determine the problem.

I am having the same symptoms again...loss of power, missing, backfiring, and it just plain doesn't sound right (believe me I know how it should sound when it is running right). Took it back to the mechanic who fixed it last year and he cleaned carb and put in new plugs. I runs somewhat better, but still isn't right. I feel either the intake or head gasket is leaking again.

My question.....what should it cost to completely have this motor rebuilt? , or, would I be better off replacing the motor. I know Dave had them for sale last year at around $1200 delivered. By the way it has only 800+ hours on it.

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I don't know the figures but I'll bet that for your time and trouble, new is the way to go.

it might even have a warranty.

GEO

3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If it has another blown gead gasket, it may be that the cylinder head is warped. Have that checked before buying a new one. I had a Briggs one time that kept blowning gead gaskets. I finally got wise and bought a new head and that ended the problem.