Rebuild Skid Sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LonniesLawns, Oct 4, 2007.

1. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

I am going to be rebuilding a skidsprayer. I am trying to decide whether to go the electric pump route or the gas engine route. Both will cost me in the $1200 dllar arnge -- so price is not the deciding factor

Going the electric route and using a udor pump or the gas route and using a d30 pump.

I like the idea of using an electric pump - but worry about the relaibility and about tapping the trucks engine for use. I would us e a seperate battery bank and battery isolator ig going this route.

The pumps will be hooked up to a 300 gallon trailer towed skid sprayer used for herbicide, fertilizer, growth reducer and fungicide and insecticide applications.

Anyone have any expereince either way? I have only had expereince with using gas engines and hypro pumps in the past.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Lonnie

I have a Hypro Versa Twin 2150 12 DC and have been very happy with it. However it is getting old and blows diaphragms now. I might also add that this is not my main pump. Since the Electric Motor is still running great I am planning on replacing the pump.

My Two cents

I started with electric and found the electric motor to be very reliable. On the cheap diaphragms pumps I found the motor out lasted the pump. Gas pumps do seem to put out higher volumes and pressure. Gas engines can be a PITA at times compared to the Reliability of the electric motor. Since my electric motors were on the truck I found no need for a second Battery as along as the truck battery is good. On a trailer I think a second battery is necessary. Marine supply houses have trolling motor plugs which can be used to connect the truck battery to the trailer battery.

BTW I am putting together an other spray truck at present. I am using a D 30 Honda only because I already have it. This truck has been sitting in my pasture for the last 3 years and to my surprise Runs great. The bed was rusted in half so I put a wood flat bed on it. I got a 300 gall Pallet Tank for free from the local cement plant. (They buy vegetable oil for oiling cement forms and the MSDS is non toxic). I plan to use a marine bilge pump to fill a 50 gallon Mix tank. I will be paying more for insurance than I spend putting this truck together since I am using parts that I already have.

If you need High Pressure and Volume, then the Gas engine will do that. But if you only need 80 psi and 5 gallons a minute, then and electic will do the job great.

3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i like the gas pumps, i've had the electric, but you need to keep the truck engine running, or you risk running down the battery of the truck or your deep cycle battery. i found this out doing larger properties having the pump running and reeling in the hose (400' of 1/2" hose draws A LOT OF AMPS) and the pumps draw considerbal amps as well. also i feel you get more consistant pressure/volume out of the gas pumps while pulling the hose behind you, and you also get alot better agitation/return with the gas pumps. the cost of running my honda 5.5hp w/d30 pump is 1gal per 7 hrs, my honda 8hp w/d50 is 1.5gal per 8hrs. my V10 ford sucks more then a gal of gas just sitting and idling (not sure how may gal per hr it burns, and realy dont want to know. i will say that my MPG on fill ups goes from 12MPG doing dry apps down to about 7MPG during liquid apps.) jmo

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Drive the eco nuts crazy. Mount solar collectors above the spray tank to recharge the battery. Usually it's sunny when you are spraying so they should charge up pretty decent. The eco freaks won't know weather to scream at you for ruining the environment or praise you for using solar.

Go green and kill anything with broadleaves.
    :canadaflag: :canadaflag:

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

But Mr Eco Freak I am spraying Organic Texas Tea. It just smells like Chlordane.