1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rebuilding Dump Bed

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GMTA, Apr 4, 2009.

1. GMTA

GMTA LawnSite Member

Ok so I just bought a 96' F350 Stake Body Dump and the bed is rusted and rotted. Is it worth rebuidling the bed with new steel beams as needed or should I continue to look for a replacement? Anyone have experience in rebuidling their dump bed?
  2. dirtfan1981

dirtfan1981 LawnSite Member

it depends how mechially inclided u are and have the excess to the right tools. If its a floor just replace the rotted and tie in to the old good metal. Just have to make sure u grind of the rust and junk to get a good weld pentration.

Really just depends on what u want to do.
  3. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

This post is perfectly correct. A floor is no problem with the right tools.

And if it is just a stakebed, a new flatbed is really not that expensive. You might be better off with another bed anyways.
  4. GMTA

GMTA LawnSite Member

It is the side rails that the stake sides insert into and 2 or 3 cross braces that have rotted completely through where they connect up to the side rails. The bed floor is PT wood planks that I will be replacing with fixing the steel. I will post before pics when I get some. Thanks for the replies!
  5. GMTA

GMTA LawnSite Member

Here are some pics I took tonight of the side rails and an example of how bad a few of the cross braces are under the bed (pic #5) which are supposed to connect to the side rails. Previous owner added support pieces to try and hold things together but obviously the bed is lacking support.

Bed Left Rail.jpg

Bed Left Rail 2.jpg

Bed Right Rail.jpg

Bed Right Rail 2.jpg

Bed Under Right side.jpg
  6. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 LawnSite Senior Member

Scrap that thing and buy new/used. That is more work then i would be willing to do.
  7. GMTA

GMTA LawnSite Member

That seems to be the most logical route. Looking into Ebay/Craigslist lately for a replacement that won't break the bank.
  8. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow you werent kidding about it rotting. Must have had a salt spreader on it. I agree that scrapping it and going with a different bed would be better option.
  9. GMTA

GMTA LawnSite Member

I believe it did have a spreader on it but was primarily used as a plow truck by the previous owners and obviously neglected.
  10. addictedtolandscaping

addictedtolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I would ship that thing. You can build one, but again, comes down to the right tools. I think you are going to be wasting your time trying to fix that