Rebuilding Hydro Pump

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by smokediver, Oct 6, 2010.

1. smokediver

smokediver LawnSite Member

I'm gonna let my lack of knowledge show here.

Is it possible to rebuild a hydro pump on an Exmark ??
    The mower stopped moving yesterday. Oil pouring from the shaft seal on the left hydro pump. I put a quart in it and tried to get it loaded, but still wouldn't move. Making a little gravely noise when trying to move, so I opened the wheel releases and pushed it.
    Is it likely just the seal, or are there other things inside broken?
    I know I'm asking for a lot of assumption on minimal info.
    Just wondering if I should remove and disassemble, or order a new one.

Thought I had a mower deck bearing going bad the last couple uses, low roaring sound, louder after running a while. Could that be the pump?

Thanks

2. mickeyg

mickeyg LawnSite Member

I rebuilt my hydro motors on my hustler super z, repair kit was $50.00, also had to buy a new shaft $120.00, still alot cheaper than a new motor for$700.00.
    It takes patients, pictures (for rebuild reference) skill, special seal pulling tools, diagrams and alot of asprin!

3. smokediver

LOL....sounds familiar.
    Well, I figure it's like this, the thing is broken now so the worst that could happen is it's still broken after I attempt to repair it.
    Since the mowing season is almost over, I've got time to work with it.

Thanks

4. smokediver

Pulled the pump and the seal spring is poking out next to the shaft.
    The seal is accessible from outside so I think I'll replace it and give 'er a try. Hopefully that's all that's wrong.
    I turned the shaft by hand and didn't hear or feel anything that seemed abnormal, pump still has suction and pressure.

5. RickyDL77

RickyDL77 LawnSite Senior Member

if the seal failed that bad, make sure it didnt leave anything behind in the pump..doesnt take much to clog one of those pasages in the upper part of the pumps.

BTW what Brand/Model is the pump?