Rebuilding motor on my New Z

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Sweet Tater, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

This sping I bought a new Exmark 52/23. A couple of months later it starts smoking when it cranks and for a min or two after. It was also burning oil noticably. Well I took it to the shop and at first they said it was a read valve.(I am not mecanical so I have no clue.) They have had it for 2 weeks now and I find out today there is a casting flaw in the block that caused a loss of vacuume in one of the cylinders. So now at about 92 hours I will have a new motor on my Z. Watch out for those thing. Just thought I'd post this incase some one might be having the same problem. they did say that this was not very common happening.
  2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Did you get it covered under warrenty? I had a problem with my briggs on my bob-cat where the design of the air filter was flawed. I was lucky enough that it was covered under warrenty and had the engine replaced at no cost at all to me.
  3. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I thought read valves were only on 2strokes???
  4. Backhoe Man

Backhoe Man LawnSite Member

I think he was talking about the crankcase ventilation valve. It has a reed valve in it I believe. Brian/////////
  5. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I picked it up today, yes it was fully covered under warrenty (thank God) There was a raised place under the reed valve that was suppose to be smooth, but it was pretty rough, the they did a short block rebuild on it. Brian you are right on with what you said.
    Its running great now, we'll just have to wait and see how it goes. It had about 60 hrs on it before it started smoking before so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    Just thought I'd let every one know.
  6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Holy smokes (pun intended) that is the EXACT same symptoms we are having with our 25hp Kohler. I add oil every day so we can use it till we get a chance to take it in. We have a hair over 125 hours on it now. Didnt do it when it was new and i did all the oil changes and everything per specs in the manual. You have a 23hp i see. Is it a kohler or a kaw?
  7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

:hammerhead::hammerhead: I don't get it....thats like having a flat tire in the morning and just putting air in it to drive for the day and then doing the same thing the next day...rather than finding/fixing the problem.

If you purchased the machine new, it has a warranty, don't be afraid to take it in. By continuing to abuse the machine (which is what you are doing when you run it when something is not right) you could possibly be voiding your warranty. And what happens when one of you employee forgets to put oil in and it grenades on you. Boom you have to buy a new engine.

Equipment breakdowns are a fact of owning a landscape business. The better you are at being able to adjust to a breakdown the better off you are.

Call the dealer see if he has a loaner, go to the rental yard and rent a machine while yours is being worked on so you don't fall behind...

to just keep dumping oil in it each day is asinine.
  8. ProStreetCamaro

Dealer we bought it from went under. Dealer kohler told us to take it to refuses to work on anything they didnt sell. Kohler tells us to take it to another location and they say bring it on in we will take care of it but we are currently backed up almost 2 weeks. Went to take it in and our backup machine went down and I had to fix that. Its just been a nightmare trying to get this mower to the shop. It will be going in friday.

Also I am the sole operator of the machine and check the oil between every job. The engine runs and sounds great it just uses oil.
  9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

that is least kohler knows about it...and I guess the dealer who refused to service it since you did not buy it from them, doesn't have to worry about you spending any of your future money with them...:)

Two week back up IMO is BS.....Warranty work should always get priority, no matter where you bought it...Especially if its a piece of equipment that is used to make money...

Id still be afraid of using the machine and having the engine grenade on me and kohler telling me to pound sand. I had a 16 hp kohler in a walker that had the "slap stick" method of oil delivery. the slapper on the bottom of the piston rod broke off, Kohler tried to claim low oil. but you could see the heat build up on the rod, but the broken slapper was still nice and clean aluminum. It took a month of btcing to get a new engine. in the mean time it sat.
  10. ProStreetCamaro

Since your from around here you may have heard of Lawn and power equipment? There is one in Bethesda and one in gaithersburg. The gaithersburg location is 2 miles from us and we have done alot of business with them over the years but they still refused to work on it. Even the Kohler rep on the phone wasnt to happy about it. We have been friendly with one of the managers at our local location and he said if it were up to him he would bring it in but the owner simply wont allow it.

We bought the mower from Kensington lawn and garden and right after we bought it they changed hands and fired the entire staff. When I called them about it they acted very shady and said they couldnt do anything till they get new mechanics which may be a month or more.

This has been the nightmare year for breakdowns. I just fixed a coil on our 15hp kawi that has been acting up some but got real bad the last couple days.