1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

rebuilding spindles

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by stevesmowing, Nov 22, 2005.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I am rebuilding the spindles on my ferris DD. I have done them on another mower before that had the same set up. right now I have the spindle assemblies out of the mower and e-rings off. I am trying to figure out how to get the spindle out of the bearing. I can't remember what I did before. I know to get the bearings out I heated up the housing and they fell right out. Then I used a press to put the new ones back in. I can't remember how I took the spindle out of the bearing and how I put it back in.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not familiar with the Ferris line but when I have to rebuild a spindle I havn't done in the past I find a break down, With that you can see how it comes apart. I havn't yet had to heat a housing to get a bearing to fall out, I simply remove any retainers and press the shaft and one bearing out the bottom or top then press the other out, Then re-assemble in a reverse pattern.

If it will help you can go here; http://www.ferrisindustries.com/t_manuals.php And down load a illustrated parts list showing the break down.

Good luck
  3. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the tip. I used a 20 ton hydraulic press and they came apart and went back together great.