Rebuilt Carb. 8 times, keeps flooding out, Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by troblandscape, Mar 14, 2004.

1. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

I have tried to rebuild, a carb on a late 80's 8 hp Briggs and stratton engine. I have checked to see if the float has holes in it, but it doesnt, but the carb keeps floading out, I adjusted the tab on the float and nothing works, any suggestions?:blob2:

2. cmurphy128

cmurphy128 LawnSite Member

did you turn the carb upside down before instaling the low speed screw adjustment in? was all welch plugs removed then acid dipped the carb? if so give up replace it..we do thousands of carb rebuids and only succesful 90-95% of the time.. i know its a mission now right?

3. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

unless it was something in the needle and/or seat. Got me stumped, off hand. hmmmm. Got to think on that one.

4. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

Why should I rturn the carb upside down for the high and low speed screw?

5. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

I am sorry it it an 11hp. Briggs, the seat for the needle is on the needle itself, it has a rubber tip on the needle, therew is no seat that slides in the hole like other carbs

6. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

True just more or less thinking (typing) out loud..so to speak.
    Hmmmm.......

7. cmurphy128

cmurphy128 LawnSite Member

just check to se if the screw is in all the way, and what i mean is not till it stops but there is a ball inside the carb that floats around, if the carb is up right the screw will hit and stop at the wrong spot, hold the carb upside down then see if the side screw will go in further, finger tight then 1/14 turns out for your initial setting, and 1 1/2 on your high speed screw on the bottom of the carb the bottom screw the carb doesnt have to be upside down

8. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

Assuming you've done everything correctly
    as far as the rebuild is concerned some floats are known to be porous...No visable
    holes but will still fill up with gas and cause the engine to flood....Have you tried a different float yet?

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I am learning a lot just from this thread

10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i think another float is going to be the answer. what piece of equip is this BS on?