1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

rebuilt husqvarna 55 rancher only idles, bogs when given throttle

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by kilabeez0, Nov 19, 2012.

1. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 LawnSite Member

Brand new cylinder, piston, etc, even brand new muffler and air filter. It's difficult to get started warm and will only idle and even then will eventually stall out. Plug looks lean. Will bog and die immediately when given throttle. I completely forgot to rebuild the carb so I'm thinking maybe it's the diaphragms but just wanted to hear some other opinions. there is hardly any adjustment on the carb because it has what i guess is epa stops so you can only turn both low and high not even a full turn in either direction. Thanks :drinkup:
  2. kilabeez0

oh new fuel filter as well. gas was bought during hurricane sandy so it's not THAT old. Mixed it with some generic 2 stroke oil 2.6oz to 1 gallon of gas.
  3. kilabeez0

a search pulled this up

suggesting crank seals. I believe the owner ran it without the proper oil/fuel mix and thats how he scored the piston and cylinder so bad. I got it as a seized motor so I'm not totally sure. Does it make a difference in spraying wd40, carb cleaner, or starting fluid around the crank seals?

maybe I put the base gasket on incorrectly and covered the impulse hole?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  4. kilabeez0

pulled the head and the impulse hole is open and fine. i got it to start and before it died out i had a buddy spray carb cleaner behind the clutch and it started idling fast, also for the first time i was able to use the throttle all the way until wide open. a couple seconds after he stopped spraying it when i used the throttle it bogged out and died. crank seals?
  5. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I was thinking some sort of air leak. Sounds like you may have found it (crank seal behind the clutch).
  6. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Leaking seals can lean the engine so much that it can melt the piston..
    Its not always a clogged carb or lean fuel mix...