Rebuilt valve sticking open

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ArTurf, Aug 6, 2013.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Approx 2 weeks ago I rebulit an old Buckner valve (which Ewing now sells under their name). Replaced the diaphram and top end and it worked fine. Got a call today and the valve was stuck open. HO eventually turned off the water supply. I went out and turned the water back on and the valve had closed. I went ahead and pulled the top and checked for debris and flushed the valve. It was working fine when I left but am wondering if it's going to act up in the future. Don't really want to bill the customer till I know it's right. Ever worked any similiar cases or have any thoughts?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Plastic valve? Flow control on the new bonnet?

3. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

Plastic & no flow. I didn't mention it but the reason I rebuilt it was because it was not opening.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Buckner used to catalog an imitation Richdel valve, but that was a while ago. A flow-control bonnet, appropriately throttled down, would be good insurance against a repeat stick-open.

5. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

I have this happen with older valves (the HR100, etc.) from time to time. My rule is if it sticks open more than 1 time after a rebuild, I replace the valve. I'm sure it could be fixed but callbacks are lost opportunity and the customer just wants it to work. I bill the difference between the rebuild and the replacement if it needs to be replaced.

I think on some of those 20+ year old valves that parts of the body wear over time and the new diaphragms just don't "fit" as well.

6. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

Good idea. I'll replace the top with a flow if it keeps sticking

bcg,
    This valve would be a tough replacement but I know what you mean. After a certain point that's what needs to be done.

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Flow controls rule, that's the only way to seat the diaphragm to the valve body.:clapping:

8. azsprinker

azsprinker LawnSite Member

A flow-control bonnet I think is going to be your best bet here while just replacing the valve would be your second best option. I would definitely suggest though, this you continue to have problems consider replacing the valve, or having someone come out and do it for you.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

IMO, you shouldn't be billing the customer for this, it should be covered by warranty.

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Jeez, things have changed for the better; factory warranty now covers parts and labor? :dizzy: