Recall- Murray #1

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rustic Goat, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Just in case anyone might be using a new Murray as part of your stable.

SafetyAlerts March 23, 2004

Murray Inc. Announce Recall of Lawn Tractors
    The following product safety recall was conducted by the firm in cooperation with the CPSC. Consumers should stop using the product immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of product: Murray lawn tractors with remote-mounted fuel tanks Units: 93,500
    Manufacturer: Murray, Inc., of Lawrenceburg, Tenn.

Hazard: The fuel tank can develop cracks allowing fuel to leak posing a fire hazard to consumers.

Incidents/Injuries: Murray has received two reports of fire and no reports of injury.

Description: These 40- and 42-inch-cut lawn tractors come with a 1.4 gallon remote fuel tank. They come in red and black or all black. The model number can be found on a nameplate located under the seat. The following model numbers are included in recall:

Sold at: Various lawn equipment retailers, including Home Depot, Central Tractor and the U.S. Army Air Force Exchange Services (AAFES) nationwide from January 1997 through October 2002 for between $859 and $1,259. Manufactured in: United States.

Remedy: Consumers should stop using their lawn tractor immediately and contact a Murray Service Center with the model number to have a free replacement fuel tank installed on their mower.

Consumer Contact: For more information, consumers should call Murray toll free at (800) 316-1073 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday, or visit their Web site at
  2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

figures. they probably put some china cheap-o plastic container for the gas tank. gets to hot or excessive use, it cracks, gas leaks, fire, blows up;) :cry:
  3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont think anyone on here is using a Murray. At least they wouldnt admit to it if they did.
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

great, just starting to get busy and ill be without my murray
  5. Conoverbandit

Conoverbandit LawnSite Member

I have one yard I use a 12 38 with bagger on, not afraid to say i use one, but that is the only yard during growing season. But in the fall we use it quite heavy for leaves.Yes I am small service part time and still use homeowner equipment sometimes. But working towards commercial stuff where I can :D
  6. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

actually is that a rear engine rider, i might have one of those in my bone yard. i got all types of junk, i believe i might have that murray my younger brother gutted it (incuding deck) and painted it, he was useing to drive around our yard, he even had a mack dog on it. i wouldnt even bother the thing has a 8 hp briggs engine that burns 1/2 quart of oil an hour, she's ready to blow. just a fun piece of trash
  7. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, I'll call your bluff......I use a 20" MURRAY push mower to do some of the smaller islands of my commercial accounts. Islands are way to small and dangerous to place an expensive machine on and hey, I figure if I get a year out of it I got my $99 dollars worth. Currently I have had this one for 2 seasons, going on third, and it starts everytime and runs beautifully and gets what I need it to do done. All of my other equipment is commercial but this mower has made me a lot of money since it came into the inventory.:gunsfirin
  8. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

hey, i agree, thats how i see it.

my uncle used to own this small property which I would cut the lawns at when I was younger. He bought a murray mower for 99.00, a weedeater trimmer for 65.00 and a weedeater blower for 50.00. It took 2 hours to do the place and the gear laster for over 5 years. We had a small basement we stored it in.

I think we got our 200.00 worth.