received a flyer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mole, Mar 12, 2005.

1. mole

mole LawnSite Member

on my mailbox yesterday. I can deal with people coming in and trying to get business it happens all the time. But this one got me, the flyer said to name your own price for lawn service. Yes that's right let the customer decide what he wants to pay. Now once this guy gets these people and let's say he loose them but they decided on there price for the lawn how do you go about giving them a new price of what the lawn should actually be. Can't wait to see what today brings on the ol mailbox

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I get calls and fliers from my competitors all the time, use it to guage your own service level and marketing campaigns.

I got a kick out of the time the Death-Lawn guy was standing in my back lawn telling me it was infested with grubs. I offered him a $100 bill if he could find one....and then I added that 4 months ago he didn't know what a grub was as I had to show him when he was treating a severely damaged lawn and didn't know what killed it...he asked me. (he thought crabgrass killed the lawn;) Oh he also wasn't licensed at the time of his treatment.

3. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Name your own price, now theres a new one. I would let him mow my lawn for $1.00

4. mole

mole LawnSite Member

That's what I said to myself, just wondering why they would want to deal with all the bs that people are going to offer him. It is almost as bad as the one I received last year with the guy doing lawns at 13.00 dollars. He went out of business by june.

5. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

That guy will last about a month and go under!

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Name your own price, huh? Sounds like Monty Hall...come on down!

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Was the guy William Shatner or Leonard Nemoy?

8. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

that company still around? Never hear commercials anymore...

9. andersonmowing23

andersonmowing23 LawnSite Member

You should call the guy up and have him mow your yard for dollar, whats the worst that could happen, he goes out of buisness faster

10. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

That is so crazy it just might work. When I go to buy a truck, I tell the dealer to do better on the price - I don't tell them what I want to pay, I make them come up with the number. The last time I did this, I paid $500 less than I was willing to pay. I wonder if people might not do the same thing in reverse here and pay more than what it is worth.

I suppose that he has some sort of a system where if you pay a lot then you get a lot and if you pay cheap then you get your clippings discharged into your flower beds and you do the trimming, edging, and blowing yourself or something like that.

Just the same though, I don't think that I will be trying that one.