Received a letter from Lesco

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Stillwater, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I received a letter from Lesco informing me of a significant price increase in fert for this comming season, especially starter fert, could possibly be a 40% increase anybody else get one?

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Did they say when the new increase would take effect?

My starter price has already went from 12.25 to over 18 a bag.

I already bought mine as they told me what it was going to do. Is it going up again I wonder?

THIS SUCKS!!!

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

The letter stated the price increase will be in stages. They said it is due to the increase cost of natural gas used in the manufacturing process

4. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

I'm not sure if Natural Gas is the main culprit here as we have discussed in other post. There are numerous reasons why were seeing huge increases in fert. The cost of phosphorous which is a mined mineral has increased 10 fold in the last few months. Where do we start, emerging economies of many nations. Growing corn for ethanol has put big demand on available fertilizer. One of the biggest factors is the devalued dollar in the global economy.

This is a time in our industry where product mix should be looked at. Managing our expenses and employees will be critical to our success this season. I would not put the blame on the suppliers whoever you might use. The price I'm paying for fert has been on a downward cycle for the past 12 years and now it's heading the other direction. I am planing on using lower "N" in my program this spring and try to make up for it in the fall and winterizer. I'm hoping by that time we might have stability in the market.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yo

Not just Ethanol, Natural Gas and Oil. Wheat shortages around the world also play a part of our ever increasing cost of Business. Devaluation of the dollar has effected us in two ways. First Our Dollar can not purchase as many foreign goods. second our commodities are now more marketable to foreign buyers, raising the demand and driving our local prices higher.

The same technology that made America Powerful is now helping 2nd world countries compete in world markets and cutting into our economy.

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Yep!

We will make all the other countries rich...then they will come over here and buy us up. Land, buildings, business's etc.

America is a wonderful place to live, and I love it...but we just continue to shot ourselves in the foot over and over again!

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

rcreech

Look at the History of the world. It was COLONALIZATION not GLOBALIZATION that made great empires. Chicken Little is correct the Sky is falling, But the price of N is Not going down in November:dizzy:.