Received a proposition today from another LCO

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grits, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Today I was approached by a well established and fairly well known LCO. He wanted to talk about forming a partnership with my company. We discussed it a little and said we would both think about it more and talk about it more in depth at a later time. I would like your opinions on this. Thanks.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

There's always a motive behind everything. Why would he want to become partners with you? (i'm not saying that you are bad, but what will HE be gaining by getting into a partnership with you?) Aren't you fairly new in this business?
    Personally, I would be VERY skeptical if someone approached us about partnership. Besides, I think partnerships for the most part, suck. You can do better on your own.

3. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

be very carefull, or you could be an employee.....outlaw

4. turbo5560

turbo5560 LawnSite Senior Member

Why not be more of a subcontractor. That way you can leave at anytime if it comes to that with no legal issues. I subcontract with several LCO's and it works great. I work for $35 an hour per person and I'll do whatever they want me to do.

5. Grits

from Florida

Yes, I am fairly new in this biz. But I am doing pretty good and my name is getting out. We live in the same neighborhood and we knew each other when we were teens. He is at the point where he feels he needs to expand his business. I doubt that I do it, because I didn't go out on my own to have someone else making decisions with me. But it doesn't hurt to think or talk about it.

6. Grits

from Florida

this has crossed my mind

7. Grits

from Florida

Not a bad idea.

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Run Forest run, I would be skeptical. he is probably just looking to find who your customers are so he can lowball them. Be really leary if he starts showing up at your customers properties while you are working. I had a guy that used to do that to me, i started looking in my review mirror and there he was.

9. Grits

from Florida

I would hate to think he would do that. We did know each other in high school. Besides, I would beat him like he stole something!:weightlifter:

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Don't do it. Partnerships are nothing but trouble. Trust me, I know - I'm in one:)

Offer to sub out to him and nothing more.