receiver keeps failing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnagent, Dec 5, 2002.

1. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I have had the same problem, just a terminology difference. When I went to disconnect my trailer from the truck it would not come loose. I took a 7 foot steel rod that was real narrow on one end. I pried it between the bumper and the receiver and finally got it to pop loose. This is the 3rd receiver to do this to me in 2 years. They wont go back on the ball either. At least 2 of them didnt. I had to replace them. The bottom line is when I remove my safety pin and slide my receiver latch it will not move the lip that locks onto the ball. The latch moves freely, maybe to freely but it doesnt work anything inside the receiver. I took both receivers apart and all the pieces were intact. Why does yhis keep happening to me? Im at my wits end here and need advise. I am tired of having to cut receivers of with a cutting torch and welding on new ones. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Sorry but i started a new thread, please forgive me!:angel:

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

Uneven ground, causing binding? Need some grease or Vasoline inside the moving parts?:confused:
  3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

always seem to lock up if the trailer is brough over a steep incline (forward or sideways). Its happened to me a few times. The spring also jams up sometimes.

I would cake the inside of the mechanisim with grease to keep the friction down when this happens. Also a little grease on the ball and the inside of the coupler wouldn't hurt either.

Good Luck!

BTW - Where are you buying the parts from? If your going somewhere local, have them look at the old one and ask them why its doing it? Also check warranty information on the new product your buying.
  4. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

The same thing was happening to me when I first got my trailer. I couldnt get my trailer off a few times, and then it eat a big groove in the ball. I had to losen the bolt that holds the coupler together, buy a new ball, and use grease. Ive never had a problem again.
  5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I wish I had some better advice but I would have to go with Guido and take the old one back to where you bought it and get their input. As mentioned I hope you bought these items locally.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I assume you guys are talking about the hitch assembly on the trailer failing to release from the ball. If this is the problem, there is an easy fix. Get rid of the cheap hitch that has a latch assembly inside it and buy a "Bulldog" type hitch. You can buy a complete Bulldog assembly with a triangle-shaped bracket that should weld right on to the tongue of your trailer after you cut the old one off. The whole assembly is about $45.00 from Northern Tool.
    You will never have this problem with a Bulldog hitch. Trailer manufacturers almost always use those cheaper hitches you are describing to save money. When I buy a trailer, I always spec. it with a Bulldog hitch.:)
  7. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Put a condom over the end before you put it back on.:D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

LMAO!....but who has a condom like that...........:D
  9. lawnagent

Well according to Northern tool, my problem is actually my coupler. Nonetheless, It does not release from the ball. I did put the teflon ball brease on the ball and inside the coupler. And the last 2 hitches were less than a month old when they failed. They were high dollar hitches from a reputable trailer manafacturer. So I just dont understand. These last 2 quit working at all. I can move the latch back and forth but nothing on the inside works or moves at all. I took one apart 2 days ago and there was nothing in it broke, wore or anything else.:confused: :confused:
  10. lawnagent

Guido, I guess Ill have to do just that.