1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Receiving Payment

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dago man, Oct 16, 2006.

1. dago man

dago man LawnSite Member

What is the best way to bill customers? Billing them by mail or in person? What if they're not home when you mow? I know it sounds like a stupid question but Igot questions and you guys have answers!
  2. abuckeye

abuckeye LawnSite Member

I have some customers that leave me a check or pay cash when I am there. Most of them I send a monthly statement to and they send me a check.
  3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Well, I would say that the best way is to get paid right then and there.

However, that is not always the way that it works. You really need to figure out what is going to work for you. Some companies bill once a month, and for some they would not be able to make it through 30+ days before they receive payment. All companies are in different places financially. Our company's software is set up to bill every two weeks. Some folks like to pay me when I am there and that is fine. Some companies may be running multiple crews and they really do not want any of their crew members bearing the responsibility of handling customer payments. So the answer to that question is really what ever works best for you and your company. Not a stupid question, but there are many answers.
  4. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

bill by mail at the end of the month
  5. extremerc76

extremerc76 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

by mail every two weeks
  6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I splt my customers as I gain them on the 1st and 15th of the month, due Net-15. This ensures a semi-steady stream of cash coming in the mail. as I get more customers I will go to 1st, 8th, 15th and 22nd of each month. I hardly see any of my customers, there is not enough time in the world for me to go around and collect checks from each and every.
  7. extremerc76

extremerc76 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

by mail every two weeks
  8. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

By mail...unless they're elderly and wanna pay you everytime you are done...then they get a reciept so I can keep track!:rolleyes:
  9. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

I bill the first of the month for all work done. I email some and snail mail the others.
  10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

If it is a one time clean-up or a special project be sure to get your money as soon as you are finished.
    Other than that most bill monthly.