Receiving Payments

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by toknasn, May 12, 2008.

1. toknasn

toknasn LawnSite Member

How do you guys take payments? Do you let your customers write personal checks? Ever had one bounce? Do you let your customers pay in cash to one of your employees? Just wondering. Thanks!
  2. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

last yr most were on credit card auto pay, this year i added 20 accounts so its about half check half cc. checks are old school, i cant believe we still use them. i have 20 checks in my wallet, some from a month ago. i dont have time to go to the bank, i could make $ instead of sitting in line.

cash... now thats a different story.. cash isnt feasible whatsoever on a commercial scale, im not going to keep stopping by bobs house when i could be eating a snickers on my front porch watching the old guy across the street be insane;BUT if i just so happen to be there, and the shady customer happens to be there as well, cash is wonderful.

AABHRLC LawnSite Member

I take all forms of payment. There is nothing wrong with checks. you will find most customers prefer to pay that way. If there is a bounced check, I charge them the fee for the check bouncing that comes from the bank and on top of that charge them my own fee. In 6 years I've only had 1 check bounce. If u constantly have customers bouncing checks then it's time to look for new customers. But, cash is best for one reason only....Uncle Sam will never know! The credit cards are also damn good. If a customer wants to prepay for the season to get a discount it makes it easier for them. As well as, the customers who have fallen behind and need to pay immediately to avoid penalties, fees and/or legal action! The more options you have the better it is for you and your customers....good luck!!!!!!!
  4. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

Yes; cash is king :walking:

But my normal routine is at the end of the month send out the bill with a self addressed envelope for them to use. That way they just put a stamp on and drop it in the mail. I think some customers would have a hard time giving out their credit card info.

AABHRLC LawnSite Member

oh absolutely some people do not like giving out card #'s especially in today's electronic, internet day and age! I would say 85% checks, 10% cash, 5% or fewer with cards. Personally, I don't care how they pay me as long as I get paid for the work I do!
  6. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

Cash or check
    I havent got set up for credit cards yet but Im looking into it
  7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

8. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Checks or Cash! write us a bad check and we'll contact you to make arrangement for payment , but if you dont answer our calls or try to skip out on paying us then we call the police. Its against the lawn to write someone a bad check atleast in my neck of the woods it is.
  9. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Real serious around here to bounce a check.
  10. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

How do you do that?

Most of my clients, ever, have done checks. I've had a few people want to do credit card, and I usually just go through Paypal for something like that. Yes there's a service charge with Paypal, but the people who wanted to do it had relatively small invoice amounts.

Going to the bank can sometimes be a hassle, but being with a chain bank gives me the opportunity to go to one of a number of locations around this state. So its really no big problem.