Recent design

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by NickN, Nov 15, 2005.

1. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Here's a recent design we've sold.Nothing fancy.The client wanted southern plants installed around their home.They've asked for a dogwood to be installed in the front lawn as well,to replace a blown down Bradford Pear.They have been great to work with.Install date is Nov 26th.At present,we're booked into December with various jobs.

P1010086.JPG

dsn1.jpg

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Why did you stretch the house and what program did you use to design that?

3. NickN

from Alabama

It stretched when resizing for posting.Punch MasterLandscape is what I've always used.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

My opinion is there are too many shrubs too close to the home as well as the tree on the right side and it is a very unimaginative design.
    I guess it is OK for some people who like old school foundation planting but I for one resist that kind of
    planting with a vengence.
    It gives WAY too much empasis to the driveway and garage and yard.It has no real focal points,no texture, or motion,it has one or two colors,and will be boring in winter.
    I tend to be a bit harsh on this subject because Foundation planting is my enemy,don't take it personaly but
    Just cuz you can do it with a computer program,
    does not mean it is automaticly good.Like I say though this opinion reflects my own style and the styles my customers here like.
    More of a flowing,naturallook,useing boulders,bringing the plantings out into the yard and away from the foundations, and useing large curving flowing plantings with different textures and contrast and focal points..
    also making an area where the client can come out and sit and enjoy the garden,it's for them not the neighbors.
    Whaat do you mean "They have been great to work with?"
    They have accepted your estimate and design?A client has not been great to work with tell you have actually done some work with them.
    I guess the design is ok in thier eyes and you sold them on it it is ok but you gotta start thinking outside the foundation planting/lawn/state of mind that has been stuck in the minds of landscapers for so many years,it will help us all to grow.

5. sheshovel

Sorry NicKN dident mean to be so mean,but I gotta say what I mean and tell the truth about my reaction to things here.

6. NickN

from Alabama

Yes,the design has been sold and installation on this job starts on the 26th.They've been great to work with in the sense that they gave me great input as to what they wanted.Some don't give very much input and I have to go with what I feel looks good.
    The hydrangeas on the sides have been replaced with camelia also.There will be color all year.Encore Azaleas bloom 3 times per year here,crepes during the summer along with the spirea and iris,dogwood during spring,camelia during fall.Golden Euonomys is used for contrast.The spirea have been moved though,to make room for Conversation Piece azaleas along the walk.
    No problem though.Different strokes and all.The important thing is they are happy.You can't tell from the photo,but the bed comes out 10 feet and is curved.(You can kinda tell from the azalea in the middle.)
    Keep in mind,the shrub photos are when fully grown and you can't prune them with software.
    Now,if you're willing to pay me,I'll be happy to come up with a design to your liking.

7. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

:blush: I'm guessing that Sheshovel used the same program for that avatar

8. sheshovel

HAHA AGLA your quite the witty one aren't you?:D
    No thanks NickN I do my own designing thank you very much though.:waving:
    I couldn't see the beds in your pic..it made it look like everything was way too close to the house..sorry if I misinterpreted it
    :help: :help:

9. sheshovel

I do have to say though cuz I just can't help myself....
    I would have installed a small curving bed along the driveway left side (as looking at it on my screen)or at least put it into the design so they could see how it would work
    to De- emphasize the harsh driveway edge.For sure.
    But of course I have no idea what I am talking about.Not at all...nope,no idea at all

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Sheshovel, constructive criticism without being harsh or offensive is definitly not one of your good attributes :laugh:

There's no need to have such a defensive attitude. We know your a competant and capable landscaper.