1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Recent install around patio

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Humble Earth Mover, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Humble Earth Mover

Humble Earth Mover LawnSite Member

This is a project we finished up with the hardscaping a few weeks ago and just came back and finished the landscaping yesterday. This will look a lot better in the spring when it grows in, but I think it came out pretty well for a landscape put in in November. You can see the before pics and hardscape progress in this thread, http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=203407.

...and no, I didn't install the solar lights!

Plant list is as follows:
    5 Red Carpet Rose
    6 lavender
    4 sky pencil holly
    3 black dragon cryptomeria
    3 pervoskia russian sage
    5 rainbow lecothoe
    7 cheddar pink dianthus
    3 dwarf fothergilla
    3 pink double knockouts
    1 umbrella pine
    1 weeping blue atlas cedar
    8 emerald jewel boxwood
    1 globe blue spruce on a standard
    3 deadnettle
    3 mother lode juniper
    3 stella d'oro
    3 japanese blood grass
    3 pink yarrow
    5 creeping phlow
    3 upright caryopteris
    2 miscanthus adagio grass
    2 karl forester reed grass
    5 variegated iris
    5 harvest moon echinacea
    1 snow fountain weeping cherry
    1 weeping giant sequoia
    5 harmonic convergence coral bells
    9 boulders
    2 tons 1-3" del. river jack
    1/2 ton del. river pea gravel
    1/2 ton 3/4" red stone

cooper landscape1.jpg

cooper landscape2.jpg

cooper landscape3.jpg

Cooper Landscape4.jpg

cooper landscape 5.jpg
  2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I am surpised the homeowners had any money left in the budget for plantings after that complicated drainage system!!!
  3. LTL

LTL LawnSite Member
    from Tulsa

Those boulders are gorgeous. What is the name of them?
  4. Humble Earth Mover

I know, tell me about. I had to really bargain shop to make this one show worthy. I think I hit 5 different nurseries, but I was able to stretch a dollar further than I ever imagined. You'd never even guess the kind of deals I got on these plants. I hope they all make it because they would all be about double the cost or more to replace. Let's just say I was able to do the install and boulder work for around $5K and still make money. If it wasn't for the drainage work, I would've had about double that for landscaping.
  5. Humble Earth Mover

Couldn't tell ya. They have the coolest quartz veins running all through them though. I bought 15 of them for $125 off of a Mennonite nursery I go to. The owner dug them out of the ground while building a house for his son. They are native to PA, but don't know a name to tell you.
  6. AllProMow

AllProMow LawnSite Member

Thats a gorgeous install. Looks very natural and should be the envy of the neighborhood!
  7. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Really nice job , good blend of textures and colors - thanks for sharing the project.
  8. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Love the boulder work! Did you get them from Conestoga? We have a couple builder sites that have piles of them 30' tall. We can take as many as we want for free.

9. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks really good, everything flows really well.
  10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

definitely falls into what I like to do for my customers, you've mixed textures with great seasonal interest, nice work.

on a personal taste though the evergreens up against the fence I don't like, Unless they stay columnar then it would be fine. I think I would have tried something by the chimney like an espaliered apple.