Recent Land Clearing Job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by sniggly, Jan 15, 2005.

1. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

Hey Folks,
    Thought yall might like some pics of a recent headache I had.....The backyard of this property is about 7800 square feet. 250 linear feet of custom privacy fence is going in......and there were several trees along the property line that had to be cleared. One of the stumps were two very old oak trees that had grown todether and formed one stump. It was huge. We used a Case CX47 excavator (about 10,000lbs.) to dig a trench around the stump and then use a pressure washer to blast the underneath side of the stump and loosen it. We then dug a hole (big one) and just buried it right on the property......along with 3 other stumps and about 100 small root balls from Podocarpus plants that had gotten out of control.

First pic is a before shot.
    Second pic is of the big monster stump.....
    3rd pic is finished.....grading only left to be done.

Backyard Before Small.jpg

Work in Progress.jpg

Done.jpg

2. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

Here is a closeup of the stump......That's my buddy down there getting plastered with the dirt coming out from under the stump while he uses the pressure washer.

:blob3:

Stump closeup small.jpg

3. fishinman22487

fishinman22487 LawnSite Member

Man, what a job that was!!!!!! How long did it take you guys?

I live in St. Augustine, what part of Jax is that?

4. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

If you would use an air spade instead of a presure washer it would be alot faster and cleaner.

5. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

Anyway...

We didn't have an air spade at the time. This is on a property on the west side of the river in the older section of Murray Hill.

6. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

Anyway...

We didn't have an air spade at the time. This is on a property on the west side of the river in the older section of Murray Hill.

7. TrentSteel

TrentSteel LawnSite Member

Why use a $7000 piece of equipment just to remove a stump? ;)

8. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

Why would you clean a stump before you burry it--so it won't be dirty when you burry it!!!!!!!! :alien:

9. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

I'm confused by the photo with the title "Done"... The job doesn't look "done" to me.. I see some mighty large firewood logs left to split up still.....

10. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, What did that cost to do? Why dig it and bury it instead of just grinding it?