recent Price Quotes on Ferris IS3000

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dupontcar, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Dupontcar

Dupontcar LawnSite Member

As many of you know, I have been reading and researching the Pro's and Con's of the different brand ZTR's on the market(thanks to those who provided insight).

I just came across a nice buy on a Ferris IS3000. Althought the John Deere and Everride where my two top choices thus far, I have an opportunity to buy this Ferris with 61" cut and 25HP Kawasaki for $7599 plus tax and also can finance it for 3 years interest free.

From reading some back threads this price looks excellent, but was interested in some current dealer offering's on this mower, and any pros and cons from owners of this mower. I had a demo and it had a very smooth ride. It did not have the cut quality of the Deere or the Everride, but believe that can be corrected with different blades or mabey doubles.(Any Suggestions on which combo works best for this machine?)

Thank you as always for the helpful information.

David

2. jccordes2

jccordes2 LawnSite Member

how many have you researched??
    Exmark?
    Wright?
    Greatdane? same as J.D
    what are you dislike and likes? I'm in your same boat. I've been researching a few. I have a friend who owns a LCO and wants to sell me one of his 2002 Turf Tracer 52, Sulky with bagger, mulching kit, and thatcher for $3900. I think it has about 200 hrs on it. I've been told on this site that an awesome buy, but don't know if I want a wB. ZTR's seem more effective/quick ??
    will his breakdown in a year??

any advice would be great!!

3. Dupontcar

Dupontcar LawnSite Member

Any input out there this evening?

Thanks,

David

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That is a great buy on an IS3000. I'd be tempted also if I were you. I don't know your area/conditions, but I would think it would cut as good as the JD and Everride if it were all properly adjusted ect...

What's strange to me is that you think the JD cuts good. I think it must be a location/area/conditions related issue. If I were you I'd just tell the Ferris dealer I wanted to take it back out properly adjusted to see if the cut could be brought up to par.

5. vandamme

vandamme LawnSite Member

Dupontcar - I've been looking for an IS 3000 - I also live in your area (Rochester) - all the quotes Iv'e gotten have been in the $8k-8200 range for the is3000zf, If you don't mind telling me where you got that quote i'd appreciate it, thanks..:eek:

6. kkat

kkat LawnSite Member

Go check hustler z turns out dopontcar before you buy anything, you wont be sorry

7. ZER

ZER LawnSite Member

That is a great price on an IS3000, I would buy it tomorrow...

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Good price- I gave that much for mine, 52” 23hp with front suspension! I couldn’t use a 60” right now or I woulda just swallowed it and got a IS3000ZX but 52 is the biggest I can fit on many especially with the bagger on it’s just as big as will go.
    As for quality of cut- when I got it from the dealer it didn’t cut very good at first. I looked at it and the deck was 1” lower in back than in front!!!! Way off!!!! Put the front about 3/16” lower in front than back (measuring to the blade tips not the mower deck) and it cuts every bit as good as my eXmark. I use standard blades on the left and middle spindle and on the discharge spindle I use a 3” wide super high lift blade. This combo works great, it cuts well and discharges really super with the big lift blade throwing the grass out. It can clump in wet grass this way if your cutting off a bit though of course but any blades do that I found. Check the blade level on the deck and adjust it then try again! Sometimes I like to run reverse gator on top of a standard blade on all spindles as doubles and that does real well too. The 3” wide super high lift blade will suck up gravel which I don’t like about it, because it nicks the blade and is unsafe (usually just stirs it not throws it, but still). If you have no gravel then you’re good to go. The doubles I mentioned do not suck gravel though but they suck well and chop well and throw very well. I would run them all the time except that with the bagger on (deck driven Fast Vac) I think it would be too hard on the clutch to run 6 blades and the bagger fan. Not to mention the drain on power and gas it would add. When I’m bagging I don’t need the doubles anyway. So, it depends on what you’re doing with it I’d say, but they cut and stripe very well when adjusted right. They stripe as good with no kit as anything else does with or without a kit in my opinion. I don’t say that to brag because I’d build a striping kit for it if I thought it would help even a tiny bit, but I’m perfectly happy with it like it is and I don’t think I could improve on it any. It does a great job when adjusted well, reasonably sharp blades and reasonably clean deck (as any good mower should). I know you’ll be happy with the Ferris if you have a good dealer (I have a bad dealer unfortunately).
    Good luck, happy hunting.