Recent Sprinkler & Sod Project

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by hoskm01, Jan 26, 2006.

1. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Installed full sprinkler and drip system throughout the yard. I was rather impressed with the quality and color of the sod. It is BobSod overseeded with rye so it will be green until next winter when rye will have to be re-planted. Plants are desert ruellia in the rear and dallas red lantana in the front. These pics were taken the day after installation. I was at the property yesterday and it looked even better after a light trimming with the mower.

[​IMG]
    During soil prep and planting.

[​IMG]
    Installing curbing.

[​IMG]
    Finished product
    [​IMG]

2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

That grass looks great! What type of equipment did you use for prep? What is bobsod? Must be a regional thing. What type of irrigation did you use? Was this a backyard only renovation?

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Used a tiller for mixing in the amendments, a bit of raking, and it looked pretty good. Fortunately, it was quite level in the first place, so no leveling to do. Put in sprinklers (rain bird rotors) on 2 zones, one spray over on the akward side of the yard. Drip line is poly pipe with emitters.

Bobsod was named for the hybrid that they created for the Bank One Ballpark (BOB) the stadium we got a few years ago for the Diamondbacks (now CHASE field). It is a hybrid bermuda that does extremely well under heavy traffic and better than most in the shady areas. This was a backyard only renovation. Saw pics from last year when they watered it daisy chain sprinkler style when the mom had the time, looked great. Then a couple of kids and no time to water the grass by hand. This will make it easy for them. 3 valves (7 heads), curbing plants and sod- right at 3k- 25 hours on site.

4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

3k profit or gross? It looks you did a great job. Was the front already irrigated and you tied into it? Do you price irrigation by the zone or by your own formula? How many square feet is that? I am just getting into irrigation so it is all very interesting to me.

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Job looks good, but just too many straight lines for my design tastes. :)

6. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

3k gross. The front has just a drip line on it, tapped into the main and ran it into the backyard and set the valves there. I price by the head, depending on what type of head I am going to use, obviously. Trenching and line to each head is figrued into that price as well. Then add per valve plus so many feet of main line, timer if needed, sprinkler wire and all the other little accessories needed and you've got your price for the sprinklers. That backyard is about 2200 sq ft of grass.

Paul- All the straight lines weren't my choice either. They wanted grass wall to wall with a straight planter, against the straight house and the straight patio, so thats what they got, after my other suggestions. They have young kids so all grass is probably the best for them for a few years.