Recently finished patio and firepit

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Hayes Outdoor, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Hayes Outdoor

Hayes Outdoor LawnSite Member

Here a couple pics of a natural stone patio, firepit and benches we built last month. We used Grey Gorge flagstone for the patio, TN Blue flagstone for the firepit and White to Grey slabs for the benches. We built the legs of the benches out of 2" thick Grey Gorge flag. Base built with Brock paver base, joints filled with Gator Dust. We layed a border of flagstone as decoration and to help retain mulch that will be layed around the edge at a later date. The customer wanted something unique and thats why we did the firepit the way we did with TN flagstone on end. Like I said we are going to do some landscaping in the future and I think that will help to finish it off. I would love to hear any CONSTRUCTIVE criticism from the veteran hardscapers that are on here.

DSC00791[1].JPG

DSC00793[2].JPG

2. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks hazardous! Pointed stone sticking strait up and a 2" lip around the perimeter probably is not a good idea...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  3. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Different........ That's a good thing. Don't love the bench legs it would of been cooler to use some granite pillars to set if off.

4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

First thing that comes to mind is the sharp edges of the firepit, I personally wouldn't put one like it at my home or cottage, but "different strokes for different folks". The benches look cold and far apart, could two people sit on them at a time? I would of put one long bench and maybe had it a bit closer to the ring. I like fire pits that have chairs you can move, some evenings are colder than others and its nice to be able to get closer to the fire.

5. Hayes Outdoor

The lip around the edge really won't be an issue once the landscaping is done, because I left a 6' opening in the front where the entrance will be. I do agree a little bit about the points on the stone, but as I built it the customer was home and they said they liked it, so I went with it. The benches do sit 2 people and are only 27" away from the firepit. We left a lot of room in between them so that when they have large parties you can place extra chairs around the firepit. But i appreciate everyones views. Bigvicl I have seen the granite pillars, but they dont look like they would be very sturdy. How are they installed and attached to the patio and seat, have you ever used them?

6. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

if you would have taken the seating material and stood it upright around the pit then you would have had a real stonehenge! Kidding aside, the jagged stuff looks a little scary.

7. cooltype

cooltype LawnSite Member

If I lived next door I would put up a privacy fence so I wouldn't have to see that

8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm.......it doesn't do anything for me. I don't like the benches. My "constructive critism" is this: Appears as if a lawn jockey was trying to get radical. You should have Pulled some magazines/books off the shelf at Home Depot and used ideas from there. I'm sorry, you're not going to Hollywood.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Hayes Outdoor

Well cooltype I think your a dick, and DVS I was hoping to get a response that showed a little more class than that. It may not be something that you guys like and thats fine but my customer loved it and thats what really matters. This site can be helpful when the right people are on it, but then you have guys like dvs and this other guy that can't say anything helpful, when that was the whole point of the post, was to hear any ideas from people that have been in the business longer than I have. Cooltype I'm figuring your one of those chickensh!t guys that are vocal and tough only on the net.

10. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Your not gonna make any friends that way. You came here cause you want opinions from other professionals. You have to realize that someone who does this for a living is going to obsess over the finer details, where average joe will never think of grandma tripping over the edge, or the neighbors kid catching a flagstone point in the rectum after too many fireside beers and a botched fire jumping episode.

I like the stone itself. It is different than the colors we see here. The edge is a hazard as it sits in the picture. The joints in the patio are a bit on the large side. I sort of like what you were going for with the firepit, but it looks amateur and dangerous as is. Most of the stones are square, but then you have these weird shards mixed in. Consistent stones and spacing would make for a nice light effect. As is there is a real good chance they will bust up after a few hot fires with nothing to deflect the heat.