1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Recession-proof money savers

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by topsites, Apr 2, 2008.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Use pet shampoo, it's good and cheap.
    Keep your empty human shampoo bottles, then buy pet shampoo by the gallon, refill bottles with the gallon.
    Current Find: 1 gallon 4:1 concentrate pet shampoo: $5

Dollar meal:
    1 can 'value' or discount pork and beans (50 c or less)
    1 can corn (50 c or less)
    Empty cans in bowl, add 1 teaspoon light fat butter.
    Microwave 2 minutes, stir well with spoon, eat.

Wd-40 too expensive?
    First ALWAYS keep window-cleaner and other empty spray bottles.
    Then buy wd-40 by the gallon, $10 at Harbor Freight tools.
    Now, keep your used motor oil and mix 50:50 with the wd-40
    With a funnel fill spray bottles with mix, use as desired.
    Pros: Works great, good for all low speed applications such as hinges, too.
    Cons: Not recommended for high speed applications such as wheel or blade bearings.

Don't forget to patronize your local Dollar stores, Big Lots, and any salvage barns or discount outlets, also certain grocery salvage stores.

Pride getting in the way?
    No problem.
    Spend lots of money, and this too will pass :laugh:
  2. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

You can get human shampoo from wal-mart for $.99. I think its called white rain or something like that.
  3. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

for a .10 cent meal, ramen noodles can be good to eat. Get the shrimp flavor and throw a little old bay on there.
  4. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Cans of chef boy r dee are a good cheap meal for under a buck on sale.I eat them right out of the can or heat them on a hot engine. Beats $7 a meal @ hamburger rest.
  5. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Chef noy r dee is expensive get the tv dinners instead much cheaper. Their is only like 6-9 ravoils in that $1.00 can.

I used to live of ramen and bologna. I could eat for a month for $20-$30 dollars. Also buy your bread at the wonder bread store. Until the last month or so it was cheaper then the store dry crusty generic bread. Donuts and cakes Entermanns (not sure if spelled righ) get the coupon for 12 items for a $12. Also try not to buy in bulk as much just because you think it must be cheaper. If you have notice lately they have started making it cost more per ounce or pound for bulk now. It is because they got everyone used to thinking it was cheaper to buy bulk now everyone buys blindly grabbing the biggest bottle no matter what the price is on it. and in many cases it is 50% higher then buying the smaller package. It's stupid I know but true.
  6. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

This sounds strange, but I drop an egg in my ramen noodles and mix it up while it is cooking. It makes cheap egg drop soup. Way more filling than the noodles alone.
  7. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

The Lipton rice packets are pretty cheap, and you get more food out of them than Ramen. Generic Hamburger Helper is a good one, you usually have to doctor the spices up a little, but it'll get ya started. If you already have a gun, actually hunting for your own meat is pretty cheap if you don't go overboard on equipment and travel. Not as cost effective if you have to purchase the gun, gear etc etc. Turn the thermostat down in the winter and up in the summer. Drive 60 instead of 75, even if it's legal. Drink at home instead of at the bar. Quit smoking/chew. Sharpen your own blades and do your own work as much as possible. Those $20 oil changes only involve about $10 worth of goods. Depending on where you're at, some grocery stores run specials in kinda small print in their ads. One of our local grocery stores sells chicken hind quarters for $.19-.39 per lb. frozen sometimes. Keep an eye on the sales ads, but pay attention. On sale price at one store can be much more than regular price at another.
  8. Reliable Lawn Care

Reliable Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hot dog soup. 10 pack of hot dogs, usually about .69 cents. Chop 2 dogs into pieces, fill pan with water, put dogs in, heat to boil. Enjoy !!! That is .13 cents per meal.

9. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, trying to quit the chew,two days now:dizzy:,at $6 a tin at almost 1 tin a day adds up.Not to mention my health. I used to catch and release all during trout season, now I might cook a few.People used to say I had deep pockets and short arms,they havnt seen any thing yet!
  10. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

For those following the food ideas:
    Rent don't buy a house, since you will die of health complications earlier than you will see returns from a house investment.