Recieved FastTrack 54" SD

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by cemler, Jul 11, 2008.

1. cemler

cemler LawnSite Member

I'm am happy to receive my new SD54. Can go up my hills now. I could only go down when using my neighbor's Toro residential ZTR. The Hustler has far more power, traction, and the controls are oh so smooth. I contemplated forever over the 48" deck. I don't know why I waited so long. With the trim edge on the 54", I can now see why the 54" is more desireable. Anyway I happy except for one thing. A SQEAKY seat. I can't tell if it is the hinge or the spring/s/. I need some advise here. Both the service and parts manuals don't indicate that I should grease/oil the hinge. Should I?:)

SD54-1.jpg

SD54-2.jpg

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the family !!
    As far as I know we don't call out a lubrication schedule for the seat hinge or springs, but a squirt or 2 of WD-40 isn't going to hurt anything.

Pj

3. wblack

wblack LawnSite Member

Nice machine! Yeah, I now wish I'd bought the 54". I have the 48" SDFT and the trimming capabilities are less than desirable...I keep hitting stuff with the back wheel:wall.

As for the squeak...I removed the seat frame bracket located behind the seat. ItÂ’s probably some sort of safety thing, but hey, the squeak is gone.

4. browng

browng LawnSite Member

I too recently purchased the SD 48" and have the same problem, it is very annoying and kind of embarrassing to have a shinny new mower that sounds like it is worn out. On mine the squeak is coming from the clip that holds the seat unit down, the side of the clip is rubbing against the frame. I put some grease on it and it stopped for a short time but it is back again. I'm thinking about grinding down the side of the clip some to allow for some clearance between the clip and the frame, I think that should work.

5. cemler

cemler LawnSite Member

Yes, indeed. On mine it is also the seat lock down bracket. I removed it, mowed, and am now happy again. No more squeak!

Thanks to all who pointed this out!

BTW - I installed the light kit on mine. No fuss.
    Boy, those ZT2800s sure get hot!

6. james mcdonald

james mcdonald LawnSite Member

Yes about the ZT2800s, they do get hot. I love the fastrak 54 inch super duty and just hope the ZT2800s hold up. It appears several commercial mowers are going to the integrate pump and wheel motor set up.

7. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

You will see more integrated hydro's in larger models in the future.

8. joe crumpler services

joe crumpler services LawnSite Member

What type of oil do you use in the ZT2800 tranny? I use Mobil 1 in everything I possibly can. Specialty lubes (Hydrotex, Lubrication Engineers, Primrose, etc.) have good friction reducing properties but are very costly purchased in small quantities.

9. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The oil specified for use is 20w50

Pj