1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Recieved this message from a competitor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SomervilleLawncare, Mar 19, 2008.

1. SomervilleLawncare

SomervilleLawncare LawnSite Member

I recieved this nice message from one of my competitors about an ad I ran on craigslist. I offered the first mowing free with a signed weekly contract for the year. He got a little bent out of shape over it. Here is what he wrote to me:

" noticed your spamming on craigslist trying to offer free mowing and all that B.S.
    Your never going to last in this business, marketing yourself like a 10 year old would, wise up.
    Never tell people somethings free, nothings free PERIOD ! I've been in business one year and will outlast you why...? I'm business smart and don't post nonsense ..."

I asked him what his company name was and he wouldnt tell me, big suprise. Any of you guys ever get stuff like this sent to you from your competition?
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

if he is so successful , why is he using the form of advertising for the least successful.....

no established companies advertise on craigslist...
  3. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

No but Ive had another local guys crew intentionally leave debris and trash on our accounts on days when we are at the same location, but we leave first. So what this guy has been in business 1 year, big deal. Sounds like a jerk, I wouldnt worry about it. The majority of companies dont last 5 years. Do what you want, its your show.
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldnt worry about it.
  5. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

never got a message like that but i did take over an account throu a property management company. They fired this guy for charging them for work he never did....
    so i went out and the grass was like a foot tall so i mowed it on the highest setting and then raked up the yar and it looked great. Well the next time i show up the old Mother F#$%ing lawn guy had took a couple bag of clipping and threw them all over the yard.. Im still looking for this guy " I just want to talk" i swear!
  6. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

I would also just ignore him. Obviously he feels threatened and by replying you are fuelling his fire.
  7. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

yeah let it go.

it will bother him more that you don't care what he says than if you tried to argue or rebuttle.

kill him with kindness
  8. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

He's got problems. Don't even worry about it. And don't waste any brain effort on it.
  9. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

just forget about it
  10. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

he has major problems, the worst i had is when one of the low baller big businesses in my town gave a very insanely low bid to one of my established customers. I hate people like that, these people have no sense, courtesy, or prefessionalism.