Reciprocating Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4 Seasons, Jan 29, 2007.

1. 4 Seasons

4 Seasons LawnSite Member

Does any other companys make reciprocating trimmers besides Redmax?

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Sthil. I'm not sure if it's actually intended for grass, but they do have a hedge trimmer type reciprocating cutter available that mounts in place of a trimmer head. One I saw was about 10 or 12 inches long. Worked well for the 3' tall grasses the guy was cutting. Would also be nice in areas where throwing debris would not be acceptable.

3. 4 Seasons

Yeah I've seen that but what I'm talking about is a reciprocater that you would use at a golf course around the bunkers like an edger. It has two round blades that move like scissers. Check out the redmax site and you will see what i mean.

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Iv'e seen them before, I just assumed that the hedge trimmer style would do the same thing. As for the round disk type, Iv'e only ever seen the one that Redmax has.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

They do...you just have to be careful not to scarf into rocks or anything. The hedge trimer attachments with the pivoting head ran at about 1/4 throttle will cut through high grass and weeds like it's nobody's business...WAY faster than string or steel circular blade.

6. 4 Seasons

I just came across a Kawasaki one!!

7. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Maruyama has one.

8. Skimastr105

Skimastr105 LawnSite Senior Member

How much do these cost... roughly?

9. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I am guessing as with alot of this stuff there is probably only 1 maker of the heads...maybe 2. A few companies use the same one badged as theirs.

I think they are all very pricey though...never used one so dunno how well or poorly it works.

10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I just picked up a Redmax fore $220 on eBay .....must have had only 5 hrs on it ....they don't come up too often ....NO way I'd pay the +500 ....nice tool fore those tight areas ....but also trims small shrubs n tight flower bed areas