1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Reciprocator instead of Line Trimmer??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ITL, Apr 23, 2005.

1. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Anyone have experience using a Reciprocator instead of a Line Trimmer? Redmax has a model SGCZ 2500S which looks like a line trimmer except the cutting end has two round counter rotating multi-tipped blades that have a cutting action similar to a hedge trimmer. Stated advantage is no flying debris/grass and no damage to the posts/decks/ect you are trimming up to. I wondering if they might be worth looking at to minimize the possibility launching rocks from a line trimmer. How long do the blades last?

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I asked about these long ago on here and didn't get much response.
    From what I am able to gather, sight unseen, this is a unit that neither replaces a trimmer or an edger, but sorta hangs in the balance.

What I mean is it would be like using a hedge clipper or power scythe, in that you could cut precisely without slinging debris, or trim under water. But you would not be able to trim against things such as posts, ect, like you can with a line trimmer.

You could also use if for an edger, for recessed bed edges, golf bunkers, ect, but you wouldn't be able to do ground contact edging like you would with an edger.

But like I said, I don't really know either.
  3. ow man

ow man LawnSite Member

I've used one for about a year and a half now. I'm getting to the point of needing sharpening. It works great. As you said, no flying rocks and it leaves no marks on trees, post, etc. Also around inground pools, you dont sling grass into the pool to have to dip out. The blades reciprocate like a hedgetrimmer. Everything falls straight down like a sicle mower. You can also run under water in ponds to cut cat tails. The gear box is sealed. On the down side, it is a little heavier with the big gear box and the gear reduction on the clutch. Word of warning, that dude will cut telephone wires, small PVC or sattelite tv cables that run next to a house. (this from experience) You can even turn blade upright and edge a nice line with it. I've seen this done in golf course sand traps. Because it doesn't sling grass, you dont have to rake the sand. Also rocks fall off the blade instead of going airborne.
    I dont know the price of sharpening or replacement blades, but its a great specialty tool.
  4. ow man

ow man LawnSite Member

Envy, Mine works good around trees and post. It doesnt mark bark. The only thing that you may not like is the weight. If your not using it all day it would be fine. Or use it in those areas where you cant afford to put out a windshield in high traffic area, or around pools or under water. I've even done some small shrub hedging with it.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well if I'm wrong.... Well why hell.... what am I waiting on?

I gotta get me one because I hate trimming and edging with a string trimmer.
    I hate slinging crap all over me and everything else.
    I also can't stand safety glasses.

And I hate the counter clockwise head rotation of commercial line trimmers with a blind passion!
  6. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Kawasaki also has one that you can bolt on to their trimmers. Needs to be a non cable shaft model. It also states that it is self sharpening.
  7. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Lawnsite Team

Thanks for the information. Sounds like Reciprocator could work well for some of my trimming needs. Eliminate flying grass and rocks. Ow Man thanks for the warning on what other items it will cut as well(Cable, phone lines ect).

8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

At the golf course I used to work at I used one. We used it for trimming around traps and clearing brush. Then someone got a bright idea and decided to used it to cut the edging around the club house. Cutting dirt wears the blades out quick. That guy didn't have a job the next day.
  9. Spirit Lanwcare

Spirit Lanwcare LawnSite Member

The recipricator is wicked slow compared to a string trimmer!

I can go twice as fast trimming or edging with a string trimmer over a reciprocator. Tried one back a few years ago and sold it in less than a year.
  10. EWIRedMaxRep

EWIRedMaxRep LawnSite Member

Recip is a great and handy tool. No mess no flying rocks etc.. Blades are 25.60 to replace. The speed is adjustable on top end to allow for how fast the blades move this lots you cut larger or smaller grass or weeds. Call your dealer and see if his rep has a demo unit you could try. Yes you can string trim quicker, but the recip does the job cleaner, you can edge, bury low voltage wiring, divet out clumps of nut grass, cut Ivy off a house without damaging brick or siding, clip monkey grass, cut water weeds, hell trim the dog if he'll stand still around a trimmer. All without throwing grass rocks or sand everywhere! Also the Kawi machine uses one stationary blade and one movable one. Wears out blades like a banshee.