reclaimed water irrigation system

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Nov 20, 2007.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

does anyone know of a website or any other sorces of info on designing a system to use reclaimed water from roof runoff and gray water that will also use street water as a supliment for when the cisterns run dry?

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

are you designing the system, or need someone to design for you?

3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

get a 1250 gallon septic tank and hook it to the roof gutters...then drop a effluent pump down in there and turn it off and on with the control panel but also have a float in there to tell it when to stop, or not turn on at all if there is no water...do a search for the thread "Drive point/Sand Point wells" ...it is exactly what you are looking for on page 2

4. Also, check with your local codes also.

5. greenmonster304

our company is puting together a bid for landscape on a house that is supposed to be "green" certified with solar, geothermal, and reclaimed water for irrigation but we have never done a system using reclaimed water and just wanted to read up on it to see if it is something we can do.

6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

For a home, you will need a LARGE rentention pond, with a well. There is no way to collect enough water from roofs, or drain tile to effectively and properly irrigation a residential site. (unless you live in a rain forest).

And still, the cost of the well installation will be higher than paying for city water. A well will not pay for itself. Just tap into the neighbors water meter, the homeowner will have a beautiful lush garden without even a water bill! (saw that in a goof-troop show when I was growing up) (what am i saying, im still growing up)
    HAHA

It just cannot be done.

7. Does your local municipal water company have a reclaimed service line that you could tap into? At least in some areas I work, some apt complexes\commercial areas can tap into this reclaimed service line.

8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Keep in mind if you are using affluent or gray water the salts will likely be very high and may not be suitable for watering your vegetation. I know that is how it is here but you may have a more acidic condition and have no problems. Just something else to look into.

9. greenmonster304

it wouldnt be the only means of watering, it would alo be hooked up to the street main. the people just want to be able to say they are recycling the water. money really is not an issue this is a multimillion dollar home. its kind of like movie stars driving a toyota prius, they can could pay for gas no problem but they like people to know they are thinking about the enviroment. its all about appearances. the landscape arcitect is calling for lots of drought resistant plats and native plants and no grass.

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

we are building a Life science bulding that is LEED certified....http://www.nrdc.org/buildinggreen/leed.asphttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadership_in_Energy_and_Environmental_Design

they are building a 20K gallon tank that will catch water from the AC condensers, roof drains, and other safe locations. The only problem is that the 20K gallons isn't enough water to run the entire irrigation system through one cycle. And the LEED Certification won't let them add city water to supplement....

If I was going to do this, id put a float operated pump in the bottom of the tank. that would kick on and supply city water when the tank gets below a certain level. But make sure the water level is high enough such that the water coming in, can keep up with the demand of the pump.

Also I would put some sort of filter to catch leaves, and such before it enters the tank, that way your tank is kept clean of any debris and you don't end up having heads clogged from gutter trash.

I guess if there was a way to trap shower and sink drains separate from toilets you could add that water to the mix, but that becomes "grey" and you might need to treat it....

you will need to get with locals on putting a tank in the ground....I'm sure there are plenty of rules to follow...