reclaimed water meter reading too high

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by zliminator, Aug 9, 2008.

1. zliminator

zliminator LawnSite Member

got a call from customer to come out and find what must be a leak because of a high water bill. Could not find anything wrong with the system. (meter not running when system is off - everything else seems fine). His bill last month was for 100K gallons. He only sets it for 2x a week - and it only runs 2 hours at a time so I figured it couldn't be > 500gal/week. The only thing I could tell him was to have the water co. put in a new meter. He is going to get me copies of all the bills since the reclaimed water meter was put in (the reclaimed water meter only runs the irrigation). Just wondered if anyone else has encountered the same problem.

Dan

2. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

We see bad meters all the time. Also see HO's that wash cars with reclaimed, leave hose running overnight, and can't figure out where the went.

Our local reclaimed purveyor charges a flat $5 per month, use all you want. Although they have recently started an odd-even watering restriction on the reclaimed (not enough people pooping or showering???).

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Meters do have a habit of going bad, but they usually fail in your favor. Does the
    system have a master valve?

4. zliminator

zliminator LawnSite Member

there's a valve ahead of the meter which I shut off.

5. Mike Leary

Is it a electric valve or a normal gate or ball valve?

6. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

check the controller, homeowners tend to play with it. or do a consumption reading of each zone.

7. Mike Leary

One would assume the controller was checked. My "consumption reading" is hauling our 125cfm compressor over, capping the heads, leaving the water on, add air, you'll find the leak. Might want to know how to adjust the compressor before you blow the entire system up, though. :nono:

8. baddarryl

baddarryl LawnSite Member

What PSI you use when doing that?

9. Mike Leary

I had my compressor modified so as to winterize small & large systems.
    When looking for a leak, we'll start slow, 40 psi or so with the water on.
    That should give 90 or so, walking the zones should give air bubbles at the
    leak. If no effect is noticed, we'll crank it to 125 psi, with water. & blow
    the break through the roof. Might as well at that point.

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Is that 100k for a month , or for a 1/4 of yr? Ive never heard of a monthly water bill.