1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Recoil repair

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tharrell, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I had to replace the plastic pulley on my Echo pb750 today. I'd never done it before so I had to learn a few things. Hopefully I can pass some info on to someone in the future who will be doing the same thing.
    I searched on here and found some valuable info but, none of it was in the same thread. I had to piece a lot of threads together and even still I had to stare at this thing before it all came to me.
    I figured there had to be a way for a shop mechanic to quickly and easily replace the parts.
    Here's how I did it.

1. Wind the spring tightly on a flat surface.
    2. Insert the spring into the housing and make sure the end catches.
    3. Wind your rope in the proper direction on the pulley and pull it into the
    little side notch so it will hold itself.
    4. Set the pulley into the housing and crank it backwards until it catches
    on the spring, wind it a little to add some tension to it.
    5. Run the rope through the guide in the housing and attach the handle.
    6. Reattach the housing to the blower.

I hope this is simple and clear so someone else will have an easier time when it comes to replacing a spring or rope in their recoil assembly. Tony

PS I'll take it apart in the next couple of days and post some step by step pics.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Vey good info indeed.

Just an FYI, some companies make a recoil spring winder-installer. I have one for B&S engines.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

when replacing the plastic pulley you don't need to take the spring out. And if you ever buy a spring it comes with a device to hold it wound so it slide in easily and that part can be used to pull them back out and kept wound if needed. I assume this blower is same as PB650.. And you don't need to wrap the rope on the pulley until you get it back into the spring and the screw tightened. Obviously you have to thread the rope into the hole inthe pulley and knot it before placing the pulley back in place with the spring. Maybe this is more confusing.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Correct, most spring are sold AND installed wound, thou I learned that the hard way myself.
  5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Why didn't you guys tell me this stuff BEFORE I let the spring bounce all over me!!! ha ha ha
    After the genie got out of the bottle I had to figure it out.
    The spring was the hardest part after it got loose from the housing.
    I figured that little notch in the pulley was for the rope just like on a trimmer head when your'e reloading it.
    Anyway, it's in and it fires up! The bully is back!!!
    My little handheld backup was wearing me out. Tony
  6. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

on my br400 s i used to cary a whole replacement assembly in the truck . they were $50 bucks and would bolt rigth on in a pinch. then I would repair the old one and have it as a back up. I should check into that on my br600. I have a supply of "keep me running" replacement parts like belts for my w/b and always a roll of duct tape.
  7. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I assume one of the plastic dogs broke on the piece? Took me less than five minutes to change, plus, you can leave the spring in. I bought a complete spare recoil in case I need to repair quickly. Although we do have three of the big echo blowers.:)
  8. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

I keep a extra in the truck as well. It is like trying to catch a snake holding onto the spring.:laugh:
    It is almost impossible to rewind the spring if you are in the field and are in a hurry.:cry:

Duck tape is a miracle in the form of a roll. If nothing else will fix it grab the duck and it will get you back up and on your way again.:weightlifter:
  9. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

the first time I broke the recoil rope on my br400 I took the assembly off my other one and started it up and left it running to finish the day. Finishing the day and getting paid is the name of the game for arming your truck with spare parts. I now carry recoil rope for the mowers too.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a couple used one for Stihl.....same on 320, 400, and 420 and a rock solid design....guess the 600 has new design?