Recoil starter repair

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Dirty Water, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I broke the pullstring on a 8 horse honda engine. I need it up and running on monday (compressor).

Where can I get a replacement cord on a sunday? Do I need to replace the recoil unit with a honda deal, or can I rewind a generic cord into it?

2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Broke mine on a 15hp Kawi in March. Bought some generic line about the same diameter at Lowes and it's been doing the job all season. Intended to change it out quickly, but now why bother, it is working.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Jon, All we use is generic recoil rope in everything, Just get the same diameter and it should be fine.

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Just make sure you get starter rope and not just plain common everyday rope.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Guess I should have added these; "recoil rope" ;)

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Yeah.. I was just reemphasizing for you. Have had things come in with bailing twine on the starter and what a mess that can make when it starts to unravel.

7. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Guess I should have said I got it in Lowes hardware aisle where the hooks, eyes, and rigging stuff is sold, not in the power equipment aisle. No fraying or strands so far.

8. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

You can get em at the Autozone and Advance places too. I dont use em much, but they are open Sunday and for small stuff like that, seems like a good deal. Pick up an extra.

9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

That's one of those things you need to have for spares, like spark plugs. In a pinch, all the places mentioned and Tractor Supply.
    Get down to your dealer and get a spare for every piece of hand cranked equipment you have. Put each in a baggy and label it.
    I do it with everything from ropes to prefilters.
    Fogot to mention, put a large clamp in your toolbox. It acts like a 3rd hand when fixing recoils.