recoil starter

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jhonjhon, Sep 3, 2004.

1. jhonjhon

jhonjhon LawnSite Member
    from Pa

This is probably a simple thing for you but how do I rewind the spring and rope on an Echo SRM-1501 recoil starter? Thanks alot John

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

did the spring come completly un-coiled??

3. jhonjhon

jhonjhon LawnSite Member
    from Pa

oh yeah, not a pretty sight

4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

you probably will have to buy a new spring, i have been to only two on my equipment

5. jhonjhon

jhonjhon LawnSite Member
    from Pa

It didn't break, it only uncoiled, and now I can't get it back together. thanks for any help john

6. Bigg Bill

Bigg Bill LawnSite Member

To rewind a starter spring, measure across the housing into which the spring fits, then use a compass to draw a circle on a scrap piece of wood slightly smaller than the diameter of the housing. Drive 4 small nails spaced equally around the circle, leaving about 1/2 inch sticking out. Cut off the nail heads. You now have a retaining form in which to rewind the spring. There is a little curlback on the outside end of the spring, hook this on one of the nails. after you have rewound the spring, use a pair of longnosed pliers to transfer the spring from the form to the housing. If you have it backwards, start over.
    BB

7. jhonjhon

jhonjhon LawnSite Member
    from Pa

thanks for the help, i'll try that in the next few days

8. jhonjhon

jhonjhon LawnSite Member
    from Pa

Hey Bigg Bill, you sir, are a genius. Had it back together in about 20 min. Thanks again!!! John