Recomendations on a push mower?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Full throttle lawn care, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Full throttle lawn care

Full throttle lawn care LawnSite Member

Hey guys I need to buy a self propelled push mower this weekend and want one that will last under hard daily use. I looked into it a little and the Honda gets high marks but for 500 bucks it better. Are there any other mowers I should be looking at for commercial use? I need something tough not pretty.:weightlifter:

2. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

the honda for 500 bucks is NOT the commercial one for that price unless it is used. new honda commercial mowers are upwards of a G. toro also makes a good mower called the proline.... again, upwards of a G new.

3. Blade-o-grass

Blade-o-grass LawnSite Member

My commercial snapper cost me $900.00. I would recommend it.

4. Full throttle lawn care

My god you guys must be kidding?:dizzy: My budget is 500 at most. Any mower in that price range that will last?

5. AviatorTOm

AviatorTOm LawnSite Member

Daily use = commercial = around $1000. I would highly recomend a Toro whatever it be because Toro parts especially compared to Honda are MUCH cheaper in my experiance...I purchased a $1000 toro 21" commercial and it has been an excellent investment...

Have a great day,

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would recomend either a Snapper comercial grade push mower or a toro proline. Both machines are rather costly but they hold up very well. My dealer has a Snapper comercial mower that is self propelled with a bag for $799 +tax. It has a 6 hp kawasaki on it with full pressure lube with oil filter. My dealer says it can go 100-200 hours between changes because of the filter being on there...
    I'm not sure about that but it looks like a realy tough dependable machine!

7. Full throttle lawn care

Can you recommend a web site that does reviews on commercial mowers? Maybe buying a good one now will save me in the long run.

8. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Full Throttle,
    If you plan on using a "21 alot,don't get one with plastic wheels and aluminum handles..1000 bucks or so is what a good 21 inch mower costs.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You will be just fine with the non-commericial Honda. It is a very good starter mower.

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Home Depot Honda will serve you very well, HONESTLY, they are great machines and they do last