1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Recomendations on Blade Sharpeners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gonzo686, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Gonzo686

Gonzo686 LawnSite Member

Howdy, I've been looking for a blade grinder and would like some input on which on would be the best buy. The Mag is a little out of price range. Have been looking at the RBG and 1 from Foley Bellshaw. I want to be able to do Mulching blades also. Found one from Oregon but it looks a little flimsy. Thanks for any info.. Oh BTW, What are they talking about with Left handed blades??
  2. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

3. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Gonzo686 -- Welcome to Lawn Site. Your lack of responses is due to fact that this subject has been beaten to death. Tons of info in the archives on Sharpeners try a couple 'searches' and you will be an expert..

Mulching blades - Multi level and wavey edges will not be sharpened well on anything but the Best machine that Magna Matic markets (read expensive).

I use a "Fireball Jr" it only sharpens straight blades and has the provision to sharpen Left & Right hand blades (direction of rotation of the stone is changed by a toggle switch)..

A good general rule in equipment is "you get what you pay for" something with a price that is too good to be true usually is, be prepared to drop about $500 for a reliable commercial blade sharpener.

Hope this helps a bit
  4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the rbg grinder, and it works great. The cost was around 400.00. It has an adapter for mulching blades that I am ordering to see how it works. The time to sharpen and ballance a blade is around 2 minutes + -.I am very happy with it. :)
  5. Gonzo686

Gonzo686 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info Guys, I will do the search in the arcives for more. :)
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

welcome the the site :)