Recommdations for Bugs, flies, etc

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RAlmaroad, Feb 10, 2007.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Last summer in SC along a coastal community we could not get outside in the evening because of misquitoes and black flies. Could anyone recommed something to control these. How about a pest and fertlizer mix? Grass is centipede and St. Augustine. Black flies appear in the mornings and misquitoes in the evenings. And. of course I don't need them now but sometimes getting the right stuff takes a bit of . Thanks

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Are you looking for something as just a temporary control (like a few days)? Or something to last longer. An economic way to go that is DEFinitely effective, is the hot vapor sprayers that run on propane. They are available at places like Lowes. They release a fog, and you can usually cover an area rather fast. you do the lawn area, bushes, patio areas, etc.. This stuff lasts a few days, but you do it the day of a party or something, and you won't have mosquito one in the area.

3. RAlmaroad

from SC

Joe and others: Found this natural treatment made of garlic. http://www.mosquitobarrier.com/index.html Should be effective. I like the idea of natural solution of the yard. If garlic will keep vampires at bay who like blood then maybe it will do a number on the mosquitoes. I work outside early and the black flies are a problem in May-June but are gone after that. Those things are the size of lighting buys and can bite through a T-Shirt. Check out this site and if you've had any success, let us know.

4. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the link. I'm gonna try that this year. F'ing mosquito's are insane around here.:clapping:

5. RAlmaroad

from SC

I should have stated in the original post: "In place of our standard mosquito stuff (Mala....) which is currently under EPA review" In some communities in SC the city will pull a mosquito control cart through the streets. New did know what it was but it was smoky. Anyway--it was just too big for a residential yard. With children and too many dogs in our neighborhood, I'd rather stay inside than hurt the children. Dogs another matter

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's why I was asking if you were looking for short or long term...I have some of the mosquito barrier stuff, and it DOES work. The residual depends on how much moisture and precip you get in that area afterwards.

7. RAlmaroad

from SC

Thanks Joe--My fingers type faster than the mind can reason out what I wrote. My neighbors and I often have dinner together either their house or ours and walking home without long shirtssleeves and long pants in the evenings find us both with many mosquito bites and during May-June bites from those huge black buglike flies. I thought I would find something to treat his yard and mine as well. He's getting to where using a hand sprayer is not very comfortable. I was going to use my 12 V sprayer and just get both with the barrier every three weeks or so. I think I will still spray my bushes and foundation shrubs with my normal stuff. Thanks again for the heads up on the barrier. The guy behind me has those mean pit bull dogs that charge the fence every time we're in the yard also has a pond--yes a pond with a small pump which he does not run every day and could be suspectable for extra misquitoes. If I jus.......t had sommmmething for thossssssssse dogs.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I have the Burgess mosquito fogger, propane. Seldom used. However you must buy the Burgess special chemical (pyrethroid dissolved in kerosene) to use in it--at an exhorbitant price--about $20 for half a gallon --of very dilute mixture. There must be another source of the special fogging insecticide somewhere. It makes a huge amount of smoky fog. Still air is best--wind blows it away.
    http://www.pestproducts.com/burgess.htm

Next step up is a gas powered backpack mist blower--about $500. You can also just spray the underbrush with regular sprayer--but very risky if you can't clean out the weed killer completely.
    There are safe products for the pond also--Mosquito dunks. Methoprene--but speaking of safety, how are you going to get past the pitbulls?

9. RAlmaroad

from SC

Actually I havea great throwing arm and they keep those d..n things in the house while they work--those little mosquitos rounds throw quite easily, plus the pond is only about 10 yards from the fence. I too have oone of those foggers but mine is electric--don't like it much. I think I'm going to stick with the garlic barrier for the grass and the malathon for the bushes and hope the pits are around the fence when I'm spraying the garlic. On second though the mean one is afraid of a water piston. Maybe garlic water????Thanks

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure, but I THINK Lesco carries a solution that can be used in foggers. Also, just a note: When using this type of fogger (propane), make sure you keep it held level, otherwise the fluid runs down into the nozzle and flames come out. Subsequently, if you are holding it angled down, then the flames come up and burn your hand.