Recommeded Tow Behind Sprayer for 2 ac lot?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by OttoDog, Jun 3, 2008.

1. OttoDog

OttoDog LawnSite Member

Looking for a decent tow behind sprayer for weed control on a 2 ac lot. Considering the 15 gal FIMCO from Tractor Supply at $219. Any recommendations?
    [​IMG]

2. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 30 gal one that looks like the one in your photo. I checked TSC website and the 30 gal one there looks like a barrel on it's side.

I have 3.5 acres and I have to fill it a couple of times to do it all. Go to the Fimco website and download a manual. It will tell you how to determine coverage (depends on speed of garden tractor). Then determine how many times you will need to fill the unit to cover your 2 acres. This may prompt you to get the 30 gal over the 15 gal. one. I would definitely get a unit with a sprayer attachment. It comes in handy spraying roundup.

3. cpa4t9r

cpa4t9r LawnSite Member

I just got a 26 gallon North Star sprayer from Northern Tool. Just put together and getting ready to try it out this weekend for some fungicide apps for brown patch. Its $300 but $285 online but you can ship to store for free. I also picked up the agitator for the tank. Unit may even be made by Fimco - looks almost identical just slightly larger tank (no barrel on side look ;).

I've seen some threads about the skid sprayers recommending upgrading the hose and gun.

PBI Gordon website has some good instructions on sprayer calibrations.

PS Not to hijack but when I drilled the tank for the agitator tube (1/2"), I have a little bit of space - I presume I need to seal to pressurize the tank. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

4. hdtvluvr

The tank doesn't pressurize. Pressure is controlled by adjusting the valves for the sprayer and tank return lines.

Do you have a link or photos of the agitator you added?

5. cpa4t9r

cpa4t9r LawnSite Member

Good to know - first skid sprayer so I was applying the backpack/air compressor logic (incorrectly :hammerhead:) Here is the post from the NT site:

NorthStar Sprayer Agitation Kit
    Was $24.99
    Sale $22.99

In Stock
    Ship Wt. 1.0 lbs.

This NorthStar kit agitates (mixes up) the chemical and water together while you spray, keeping the concentrate of the chemical more uniform, rather than the chemical settling to the bottom of the tank.

Includes 3/8in. reinforced PVC hose, stainless steel hose clamps, nylon fittings
    For use with Item#s 26810, 268110, 268120, 2681210, 268198, 268100, 285170, 285180, 228717, 2681, 26811, 26812, 268121, 268198, 268199, 28517 and 28518
    U.S.A.

Its basically a tube that you put into the top of the tank and tie it into the hose tube via another valve like the one for the boom. Not a whole lot to it.

Here's a pic too.

Agitator.gif

6. hdtvluvr

Thanks for the info. Didn't you already have a valve like that on the sprayer so that one hose goes back to the tank and the other hose goes to the spray boom at the rear?

Which line did you add this to?

7. cpa4t9r

cpa4t9r LawnSite Member

Yes - you have to cut the spray gun hose after the first 9.5" (depends on unit) to put the other valve in - right after the gun hose comes from the fitting from the pump. It is exactly like the one for the spray boom except the agitator hose/fitting is larger.

8. hdtvluvr

Let us know how that works out. May want to add one to mine.

9. OttoDog

OttoDog LawnSite Member

I'd mostly be using mine to do the initial killoff w/Roundup & Fusillade II at 2 qts/24 oz per acre. After that, it'd just be for occasional use.