Recommend a good book about lawns

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by aira$$ault, Nov 8, 2009.

1. aira$$ault

aira$$ault LawnSite Member

Hi all,
    I'm planning to start a lawn care business in the spring, as I've said in many other posts. After lurking on the forum for a while, I've learned a whole lot about the business. However, I feel like I'm lacking in the horticulture department. I'm a professional engineer, so it's not in my background.
    It seems like I need a knowledge base in order to understand most of the discussion in this forum, in regards to the technical aspects of building and maintaining a healthy lawn. Seems to me a good start would be a book. Can anyone recommend a book that would fill me in on how to build and maintain a healthy lawn ? I need to know about soil, chemicals, fertilizer, aerating, watering, weeds, etc.

2. rustystarretts

rustystarretts LawnSite Member

The Organic Lawn Care Manual (Paperback)
    ~ Paul Tukey (Author) .... easily $14.00 well spent!:usflag:

3. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Paul Sachs has authored some good books as well

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Lawn Geek by Trey Rogers, published about 2006.
    All about Lawns, by Ortho
    Turfgrass, Science and Culture by James Beard, a textbook, big bucks; its the best. 672 pages.

5. BIOGRASS

BIOGRASS LawnSite Member

I personally think Christians is a good read check out Fundamentals of Turfgrass Management

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i had the one by Beard as a text book in college , good book but was outdated a bit then, hopfully it has been updated.

7. BIOGRASS

BIOGRASS LawnSite Member

I think it is still outdated... Not aware of any updates, I would love to read a newer version.

8. HawkinsBros

HawkinsBros LawnSite Member

You're not a professional engineer.

9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Not only that... there's no horticulture in NM.

10. aira$$ault

aira$$ault LawnSite Member

What does that mean ?

Horticulture is the industry and science of plant cultivation including the process of preparing soil for the planting of seeds, tubers, or cuttings.[

Yeah, no horticulture in NM, makes sense.

HawkinsBros is my smartass brother. If I'm not an engineer, I'm OK with that, as long as the people who send my paycheck don't mind.