Recommend a mower for me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brettmc, Mar 29, 2006.

1. brettmc

brettmc Banned

I’m in the market for a new mower. I have 3 acres of my own plus I have 10 residential accounts. All told, I probably mow about 3-4 acres every week. I presently drive a 10 year-old Scag gear-drive WB with a 48” deck. The Scag has a drive problem that I nor the local dealer can fix. It wants to wander uphill in thick grass plus when turning in thick grass, it wants to keep turning when the handle is released. Also, it will leave grass sprigs that I have to mow twice. I’m tired of struggling with it. I'm looking for a hydro WB or ZTR and I don’t want to spend more than $5k-$5.5k. If I need to spend more, tell me why. My mowing terrain is mostly flat with small rises. Grass is mostly thickazz centipede. I have a single axle 6X8 ramped trailer to haul it with. Local dealers are JD, Hustler, Cub, Grasshopper, Scag, Toro.

I visited the Hustler dealer yesterday. He can sell me a Fastrack with the 20 hp Honda and 52” deck for $5150. Aren’t these homeowner models? He can put me on a Z for $7800. He hasn't sold very many WBs, didn't have any in stock, and acted like he didn't want to.

2. brettmc

brettmc Banned

I've got a lead on a new Exmark HP with a 19 hp Kaw and a 46" deck....$5800.

3. Justcutitshort

Justcutitshort LawnSite Member

If you keep the WB, get a rider. If you will have only one machine, I'd get a bigger WB and a proslide or Bullrider.
    I would not limit myself to just a rider only.

4. brettmc

brettmc Banned

Why not just the rider?

I had planned on selling the Scag after I get a replacement for it. I've been working for yrs with this Scag and a 21" JD WB.

Brett

5. Fox Landscape Services

Fox Landscape Services LawnSite Member

Hey brettmc where is the exmark for that price? The lowest I can find around here is 5995.00

6. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

JD is hard to beat all the way around! Quality, service, craftsmanship and did I mention SERVICE! I would suggest the JD 7H17 walk-behind, it has a 48" deck with a 17hp Kaw. engine. If you want a Z-Trak then I would suggest a JD 717A, it also has a 48" deck with a 19hp Kaw. engine. Both are extremely solid machines and the 7-Iron deck is worth it's weight in gold, especially when it's wet. The 717A is a little more than what you want to spend but I think it would be worth the extra $$$.

7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

You asking yourself real problem if you insist on 1 rider or 1 mower. You need a backup, a comparable backup in term of efficiency. There will be time when rider breaks and you still have another mower to finish your schedule. Most people almost out of business as soon as their riders broke in a shop for weeks, and they only have a 36 belt walk to finish 40-50 accounts for that week!! Now, imagine...how sweaty and behind you are, but on the other hand if you still have at least a hydro 48"-52" walk that will at least help finish with reasonable excuse.

8. brettmc

brettmc Banned

I understand perfectly. If I was doing this fulltime, I would have 2 large mowers. However, being with this being parttime (see original post and the 10 account line), I have no need to run 2 large mowers.

I'm starting to kind of lean towards a hydro WB now. The prices on these ZTRs are like buying a nice used car....

Thanks for the help guys. Keep it coming!!

Brett

9. brettmc

brettmc Banned

Can't say mang. Mum's the word! Owner of the mower shop swore me to secrecy dude...

10. Justcutitshort

Justcutitshort LawnSite Member

The WB with velky can service anything you can throw at it.

The rider can't be a WB if needed or go on soft wet lawns that need a lighter machine, it can't fit in tight spots, can't do hills or slopes, and sometimes is just plain slower on smaller lawns.