1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Recommend a New Hedge Trimmer

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Nate'sLawnCare, Oct 23, 2012.

1. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I've got a HS 45C bought it last spring works like a champ, makes shrub work much easier.
  2. t j lawn care

t j lawn care LawnSite Member

the stihl hs 45 are really nice
  3. ncnurseryman

ncnurseryman LawnSite Member

I have the hs45 and everytime I turn it ok its side it choked out. It's been in the shop twice and still won't stay running.
  4. holmesgts

holmesgts LawnSite Member

I know you said your budget was about 350 for another 200 hundred you could buy one of those sthil detachable long pruner systems. I would get the fixed bar I don't like the adjustable bar there's too many parts to hang up in the shrubs and slow you down. I don't know the model # but I love those things you can reach way in on top of big stuff and you can do the little stuff without bending over the whole time. (really saves the back and time) And for another 99 you can buy a weedwacker attachment for another 139 you can buy a chain saw attachment.

I think the detachable systems are a great idea in general you can take a lot more equipment with you taking up less space and if one thing goes down you can switch up attachments and be back to work most of the time. I recommend sthil because I just happen to like Sthil products.
  5. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks again for all the responses. I actually wound up with a Kawasaki KHDS600A. It was over my original budget, but with the $25 rebate, it was right at $400. I like the fact it has a zerk fitting on the gearbox and it was a professional model for not that much more money. I used it on Friday, and it started easily, was well balanced, and cut great. It also didn't use much fuel, unlike my thirsty Husqvarna equipment.
  6. TruSomethingOrOther

TruSomethingOrOther LawnSite Member

I'm in the market for a hedge trimmer as well. My closest dealer has echo and redmax, and actually recommended the redmax. The gear box was built better and was sturdier, but the weight was the only issue I had with it. Still on the fence about owning more Stihl though.
  7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

HS45 is great but I've had problems with the handles breaking...I guess maybe I'm too hard on them.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. blake101

blake101 LawnSite Senior Member

Great choice, I have the same trimmer, you will love it. Have had it for several years and no problems at all. Lot cheaper than the Stihl. Sorry mine is a KHT600D. But you will still love it.