Recommend a noncommercial 21" mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MrC, Aug 28, 2007.

1. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I know, some of you are ready to tell me to go commercial, but I don't have the $$$ nor can I justify the cost. It's just out of the question. What homeowner brand would you go with Toro, Lawnboy, or Honda? What model?

Are the personal pace systems a descent feature (worth spending the extra money for)?

What other features should I look for in a mower?

Thanks!!!

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Toro personal pace is a POS.....get a home depot honda mower and be very happy with it ( i have three and they are awesome)

3. Landscape89

Landscape89 LawnSite Member

Honda! Toro and Lawnboy have been used by people I know and I've heard nothing but complaints. Honda's got lots of cool new features on there mowers too.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Get a Snapper HiVac...you will be happy. Home owner deck is the same as used on the commercial...only difference is the engine and wheels...oh and a Snapper Commercial sticker.

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Lawnboy 4.5 hp 3 speed homeowner model and it has held up alright for about 8 years now. Granted it only gets about an hour a week (just like a homeowner:waving: ) I use Amsoil 100:1 mix. No smoke good power and except for the blade sharpening there is no maintenance. I can't tell you good or bad about the others but this has worked for me. Good Luck.

6. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

I would only recommend the Snapper Hi-vac if you are going to bag. Mine leaves alot of stragglers behind when mulching or side disharging with the grass down here. It cut great though when bagging. Good luck.

7. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Be cautious of the Personal Pace is all I can tell you. I had one before I got my Proline Toro and the personal pace went out in about 2 weeks after I got it. Just my experience, could be different for you. Home Depot has some pretty good Hondas and Lawnboys. The Honda's they sell should serve you well as long as you dont use it commercially. What's your budget? This will give a better idea of what to recommend. Or you could just get a goat....

8. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I have 21" Toro Personal Pace ( not commercial) that I use for small yards and it has been going strong for 3 years now. It looks rough around the edges, duck tape on the throttle cable,etc... but it has been good to me. The reason it looks rough is related less to the actual wear and tear of mowing more on my impatience in jamming it on the trailer,in the garage or in a crowded truck bed.I think I paid around $329 for it. It mulches and bags very well. I have heard that the Hondas are good too but have never owned one. I do know that the Toro Personal Pace will suck up leaves pretty darn good too.

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Snapper used to make 2 of the old style mower, one with deck curled under and one curled out. I have the later which is the mulching deck and it doesnt leave stringers. I also want to comment on how well it mulches, and it still bags pretty well to. My Snapper came with the Ninja blade which I think is Snappers verson of a gator...its very similar to dual blades, but without the extra teeth of a gator. I am not sure if you will find the older style deck mulching mower in a Snapper since they have now stopped making them, but I know they do in fact still make the HiVac...either one will do a great job and of all mowers that you can buy at Home Depot I would bet that the Snapper would take the abuse better then a wimpy Toro Personal Pace. I am not knocking the Toro Personal Pace, but IMHO the Snapper is built way better and the drive system is simple and the differential is nearly bullet proof. The prices maybe a little higher on the Snapper, but worth it in the long run.

10. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

cgaengineer is correct. Mine is the old style deck that curls under. Do not get this style deck unless you are only going to bag, it leaves too many stragglers when mulching or side discharging.