1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

recommend a pto driven rotary mower, 8-10' width

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by PTSolutions, Apr 6, 2012.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

Hey guys, have an opportunity to put our 90hp tractor to work other than snow duties. I am trying to get some prices on rotary mowers and want to ask what your guys' opinions are as to brands, set-up etc...

tractor is 90hp, 78pto hp
    tires will be set around 8' wide.
    rough row mowing, prolly 1-3" cutting capacity wanted.

if theres anything i missed let me know.
  2. tailboardtech

tailboardtech LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device
  3. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I have always used Bush Hog brands.
  4. NateV

NateV LawnSite Senior Member

We use Bush Hog too. We have a 8' on ours for mowing the farm. Our tractor is only a 60 horse, with 50 to the pto and it works fine. Our fields are mostly just grass and weeds since we keep it mowed so i cant say how it does in bigger brush.
  5. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

I've used an 8' Landpride behind an old 986 International and it you couldn't hardly tell it was there. Of course a larger tractor but Landpride makes some heavy equipment. That being said Woods, Rhino, Bushhog, and Deere all make units in this size comparable to one another. Hard to pick which one in terms of quality or build.
  6. weesa20

weesa20 LawnSite Member

7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

That was my first thought. Thumbs Up

If it's more finish work, then I would go with a woods. We used to use an older woods 3pt finish mower on the farm and it did great.

If it's rough work, such as a pasture, then I'd go with a good bat-wing of some sort.

8. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

Just rember that a batwing and tractor will not go on same trailer so if that a factor. I would stick with a 8 foot woods or landpride.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton LawnSite Senior Member

Brushog, Deere, and Woods all make comparable units, just make sure you're looking at all HD models. A 10' mounted might be a bit much for your tractor, semi-mount or drawbar mowers will make that a non-issue tho.
  10. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats funny we load a 15' batwing Deere mower and a 100hp Deere tractor with a loader on our 32' trailer all the time.