Recommend a spray gun

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lawn Masters LC, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Lawn Masters LC

Lawn Masters LC LawnSite Member

I need a new spray gun for liquid chem apps. Any suggestions/favorites and where to get them.

2. airtractrdrivr

airtractrdrivr LawnSite Member

What applications are you making? Lawn? Tree spraying? shrubs and ornamentals? You need to be a little more specific. For lawn apps, the Chemlawn gun is probably the most widely used. It's simple, effective, and easy to repair in the field. The JD-9 gets used alot for shrubs, bushes, small trees, etc. There are also lawn tips available for the JD-9, but I dont like them at all. There's a gun made by B & G Equipment Co., but it's essentially a JD-9 clone, looks identical. I've gotten away from using a gun on my lawn apps, and gone to a walking boom. It's faster, gives better coverage, and doesnt waste as much chemical. On my smaller lawns, I use a wand setup I have that has a Gunjet valve, 38" wand, and T-Jet nozzle. It also is faster and covers better than the gun. I've got two Chemlawn guns in the box on my rig, but they are pretty much just backups now. I have a JD-9 for shrubbery and bushes, and a Spraying Systems tree gun for bigger stuff. As far as where to get them, anh of your chemical suppliers should have them, or be able to get them for you.

3. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

The jd9 is a great gun,kinda heavy but strong & simple,lesco sells them.

4. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

I would be interested to hear more feedback on the walking boom.

5. custom landscape inc

custom landscape inc LawnSite Member
    from 28601

hey lawnmasters how did the business deal turnout? Anymore problems with the buyout?

6. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

JD-9...tell them you want the "old style" ones with the twist-adjust nozzle

7. airtractrdrivr

airtractrdrivr LawnSite Member

There are several different types. The one I use has a 48" boom with six Quick T-Jet nozzles, pressure guage installed at the boom, Spraying Systems valve, and rides on two small air up tires. It's very well balanced and easy to push. The nozzles ride about 12 to 14 inches high when level. It's small enough to be plenty maneuverable around most lawns, and large enough to save alot of time. A friend of mine who is also an applicator has one from Wylie that has a folding 8.5' boom, which is great for large open areas, but he cant use it at all on most of his residential stuff. The smaller one is perfect for my needs, but I've built a set of boom extensions for it that give me an extra 2 feet on each side. I just put em' on when I need them, and take em' off when I dont.

8. Lawn Masters LC

Lawn Masters LC LawnSite Member

Thanks for all you guys imput. About the buyout...we've decided that the guy pretty much closed up shop at the end of last season. This was not disclosed to us. His past employees have had months to start contacting past accts. Pretty raw deal. We sent a letter to all accts, then we recieved a response that the guy had halted serv. before season was even over, so they'd already found someone. We've been lied to and jerked around. Use us as a lesson, be careful.

9. custom landscape inc

custom landscape inc LawnSite Member
    from 28601

pretty sorry if you ask me lawnmasters. So how many accounts did u wind up with after all? Hope it was worth the trouble.

10. earthtrends

earthtrends LawnSite Senior Member

how is everyone in nc