Recommend a spreader?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by MrC, Apr 20, 2007.

1. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I don't and can't afford a commercial spreader. I was just looking for a inexpensive spreader for a 3000 sq ft property. My old Scotts speedygreen doesn't close when I release the lever.

2. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one of those Scotts speedygreens too. I only used it a few times, and then bought a real spreader, an Earthway. If you want my speedygreen, you're welcome to it as a freebie. I'll be glad to get it out of my garage. Let me know if you want it.

3. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Thanks again LarryF. I might of fixed my old one but we'll see in the next couple weeks when I'm ready to fertilize. I'll see if my friend could use it for his first new home.

4. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

I ended up getting an earthway as well. I used my Speedygreen for many years. Man those things are frustrating.

I easily cut my application time in half with the Earthway...I have more yard to do then you though.

5. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

OK, I'm done with all Scotts spreaders. I'm tired of fighting with them. Are there good spreaders that won't break the bank. I really don't want to spend more than $75 since I broke the bank on my BR600. Are the Earthway residental spreaders any good? They kind of look like the Scotts. Any suggestions?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Earthway-spread...8QQihZ019QQcategoryZ20540QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Earthway-spread...4QQihZ019QQcategoryZ20540QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Earthway-spread...8QQihZ019QQcategoryZ20540QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

6. LarryF

The one I got is the Earthway 2170. It cost $75 plus $30 for shipping. If you are interested, send me a PM and I'll provide the guy's email address, but of course I don't know if he is still selling them for what I paid.

7. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

8. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same one - $119.00 including shipping - another eBay bargain.

9. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

A bit more than I want to spend. I don't have a big yard so the larger hopper is not that big of a deal. I just wanted to buy a better unit than Scotts.

10. LarryF

Only 3000 square feet? I see what you mean. Why use a rotary, bradcast spreader? Why not a drop spreader? I have a Scotts drop spreader that's about 40 years old that I still use for the borders of my lawn, and it still works great, just like when it was new. It's about 2 feet wide, so I make a couple of passes with it next to the sidewalks, patio, driveway and property lines and then use the big Earthway broadcast spreader for the in-between. Don't know if they still make them, but it's rugged and made of steel and since I wash it and dry it in the sun after using it, it has lasted and lasted. It's marked "Scotts 75-3". There must be other brands of drop spreaders that would be just as good.