Recommend Walk-Behind for Home Use

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Scott_Abel, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Scott_Abel

Scott_Abel LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Hello Everyone,

Last year, I purchased a Ferris 1500 ZTR Mower for use at home. I mow about 5 acres, and I am really glad I found this forum at the time, and bought a commercial mower.

My dad lives on a regular neighborhood lot (about 1/2 acre) and mows thick St. Augustine. He is getting tired of his big box push mower, and asked me for advice.

When I bought my mower, I only really looked at ZTRs, so I am not real familiar with the walk behind models. Would you all recommend some good options, or tell me what I should be looking for in a walk behind? What are some of the better entry-level commercial grade units?

I'm sure any of them would be overkill for what he needs, but it is always nice to use commerical grade equipment, plus it should last him a long time.

Thanks for your help! :waving:

2. Scott_Abel

from Texas

Thought I should add...we have dealers in my area for Hustler, Scag, Ferris, Gravely, and Exmark.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I dont think hustler makes a walk behind (I could be wrong), but all the others are good. If its just for use at home I would say look at the prices and how friendly the dealer seems. I prefer exmark myself.

4. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Pretty much any commercial 36" mower would be great for him. If he can find a nice used one that would be the way to go. The used belt drive WB's are generally fairly cheap, I picked up a nice one with a sulky for under $1k.

5. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out Better Outdoor Products Quick 36...
    Quick 36.com

6. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

eXmark's entry level belt-drive, the Metro 36, would be perfect. Get a Velke if possible.

7. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Hustler makes some really nice wb's. They're called Trimstar, I think. Expensive, though.

How old is you dad, Scott? Maybe he'd rather have something easier to use than pistol grips - they can get pretty tiring. I know that Hustler, Scag, and Exmark all make wb's with ergonomic controls - you might look into that.

8. Scott_Abel

from Texas

MJS,

My dad is in his 50's, and is in good shape. But, the handles are a goo idea to think about, because he will want to keep this mower for a long time.

Do you guys think it is important to get a model with hydro drives, or will belt or gear drives be ok?

9. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Belt drive would be okay for no more than he would be using it I would think.

10. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with BUCKEYE. I'm a lot older than your father and maybe even your grandfather, and the Q36 works for me on my hills. And spend the extra $200 to get the Samurai.