Recommendation for Leaf Blower

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mlong30, Oct 3, 2007.

1. mlong30

mlong30 LawnSite Member

Hi All,

The fall season is up on us, and I don't want to rake my entire yard this season. Any recommendation on what blowers to looks at for home and commercial?

I've been looking at the Toro line, but I just don't like plugging in cords and dragging them all around the yard. I want to get job done as quick as possible.

Thanks.

Matt

2. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

stihl bg 85...........strongest in its class. about $225. if you are a homeowner, it will be the last one you ever have to buy.

3. mlong30

mlong30 LawnSite Member

This blower looks great!

Any suggestions for shredding? I was looking at the echo es-210/230 line blowers, because they had a shredder as well, not sure if they are any good, but they cost more than the stihl bg 85.

Are there any professional shredders/blowers?

Matt

4. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

The BG85 has a shredder/bag attachment available for it as well. I believ it is 39.95 extra. OR jst have your dealer order the SH85, which is the BG 85 with the shredder kit.

5. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

If you are looking to get the job done as quickly as possible, you might want to consider a backpack blower. Im not sure the size of your property or how much you want to spend but a Stihl or RedMax blower will get the job done faster and will not get tire out your arm the way a handheld blower will. If a handheld blower will work for you I'll second the BG85 though.

6. lawnmowertech37

lawnmowertech37 LawnSite Member

also Efco is a good brand too 5 year no fear warranty on them made in italy does stihl offer a 5 year warranty ?
    calvin

7. Dodge Truck

Dodge Truck LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Check out the shindaiwa back packs you won't be disappointed

8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Be like me and let your mower be your shredder!

Just take your new blower and disperse the leaves around the yard evenly.
    Then with the new 'gator blade(s)' installed on your mower, you can then do two things at once; shred the leaves, all the while bringing the grass height down to the winter level.

Some people block off the discharge chute too to increase the 'mulching effect'. I don't have to do this. Maybe you will. Depends on your mower type.

Honestly, when you're through they're won't be much brown leaf material left to look at at all.
    (unless you have certain trees, like some oaks, whose leaves are tough to chop up!

And it's no doubt a more environmentally responsible way to take care of the leaves, saving some space on the curb.

9. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

I highly recommend a backpack type blower. Got one a few years ago and have loved it ever since. I find myself using it quite frequently to clean off all sorts of things. It is very comfortable and these tend to have more blowing capacity. Mine is a Stihl BR340...works great.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The bg85 should have a base, this base is so shaped it should allow you to hold it with both hands at times.
    I have a 55 with such a base, it also has cruise control, probably the 85 does?
    If it does, I can set mine on cruise and hold it with either hand...
    When holding it in my left hand I just hold it by the base, upside down, throttle on cruise.
    Nope, doesn't cut off, run run run run run, all day long until it's out of fuel.

But I do second a backpack blower, even a 340-420 should be gtg.
    Because once the leaves get thick...

Remember, stihl's like to run wide open.