Recommendations for commercial 22" lawnmower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sdlandscape, Sep 3, 2011.

1. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

I have the 21 and the 25. It's probably better that you didn't get the 25 because they have recalled some of the parts on the 25. The back wheels and tranny. We had a few issues with the tranny slipping on the 25, but we mow a very steep slope a little over 200 ft long with it weekly. It has had no problems with the new tranny. Ybravo said they had problems with the back wheels coming apart. We didn't have that happen. The 21 has been rock solid with no problems.

2. TuffWork

TuffWork LawnSite Senior Member

I've had toro commercials and bought the same exmark as you this year. Even having had experience with other commercial mowers before, none are close to this mower.

3. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

Then what is this site for? To talk about the weather?

4. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I'm assuming that Ybravo made good on replacement parts shipped to you or to your dealer?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

Yes they replaced the parts at the dealer.

6. johnny_boy02

johnny_boy02 LawnSite Member

Just make sure you get the updated parts and you are good to go. The only time the 21" gets used now is if I have a large yard and someone helping me. The 25" has been perfect since it was fixed/ updated.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

It could be but I think it's here to discuss ways to make things better and easier. How to service properties the best they can. But to ask questions on what mower they should buy or how much they should charge to mow a place is kind of ridiculous. These are things you/they need to learn on their own or they will never understand. It goes right along with the way kids are brought up. They want/get everything handed to them and never really learn for them self. Why should someone that has worked their azz off for years learning through trial and error to just tell a person how to compete against them? Doesn't matter if they're a 100 miles away or a mile away, they still are having it handed to them without even learning anything.

8. Triplex

Triplex LawnSite Member

I know a lot of folks here will advocate getting a good commercial 21-incher, but there's also an argument to be made for buying box-store cheapos and treating them as disposable items. I worked on a golf course where we used a bunch of cheap Bolens 21-inchers - much less durability than a good machine, but also less worry about theft, operator error or abuse, etc. If you plan to use the thing yourself you'll probably take good care of it, but this way if you hire a few guys and they get careless with it you won't be out $1000. If your finances are limited, you'll need a commercial grade trimmer and backpack blower at a minimum - the 21-incher is a safer thing to skimp on!

9. sdlandscape

sdlandscape LawnSite Member

I'm sorry you guys took it so personal, but What use is a forum then if we are not helping each other? the internet itself IS a tool and it WAS created so we can make things better and easier for each other. if we just keep on making the same errors that people did 100 50 or even 10 years ago we aren't really going anywhere... I understand what you are saying but if I wasn't doing my research I wouldn't be here in the first place, I am also talking with local landscapers and visiting local dealers, but I didn't want to rely only on the info from the sales people, that is why I sought to ask for recommendations and advice from top dogs and old timers that know the business and would not just want to take my money.
    Thanks to everybody that has responded, the Exmark looks tempting, but for a starter like myself I might go with a more cost effective machine, not yet sure:dancing:

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

As suggested, do some searches, and you will find more threads about this topic than you have time to read. There is a huge inventory of information, AND opinions.

For every person who says "this machine is the best," there is another person who says "stay away from this machine." For one LCO, a particular machine is best, for another, the same machine is the worst. This theme runs strong through threads that have been posted here in the last 10 years.

There are some posts on this thread recommending one specific mower. For me, nobody could give one of these machines to me. For him, apparently it works great, for me, it would be on a one way trip to the junk yard.

While your question may be a valid one, much more information is needed to even get you started on a right path. We know nothing of the properties you intend to mow, the kind of turf, the necessity for bagging, the weight limits on the machine for ease of operation, the terrain, the expected daily use time, just to get started. There is no simple, one line answer to your question. However, that being said, you may pick one of several, and find that it fits your needs just fine. In many cases, we buy, discover it was not the best choice, but continue to live with our choice.