recommendations for mower for golf course & lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ecarey, Apr 20, 2004.

1. ecarey

ecarey LawnSite Member

I have about 4 acres of regular lawn that's mowed (once/week) and 3 acres of golf course fairway and rough that is mowed twice/week. Right now I have an old 50" Gravely ZTR for the lawns and the fairway, and a Kubota tractor with a 60" mower for the rough. I'm thinking of replacing them both with a single machine with either a 60" or 72" deck and am writing to see if you guys could give me an opinion on:
    1) can one machine handle both of these jobs? the rough is pretty rough (bumpy), and
    2) if one machine can handle both jobs, can you suggest a good machine to buy? My first priority is reliability/indestructability - the cost is only important in so much as the machine is worth the money I spend on it.

Thank you,
    Emily Carey

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

exmark 60 or 72 with the efi ( electronicly fuel injected ) or the hustler super z. i'm sure pj ( mowerconsultant will send you some info. on the super z.

yes one machine can do both jobs

3. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Look at the BAD BOY 72" AOS and you have a mower that will do the job with easy.

4. lars

lars LawnSite Member

First, what are your mowing heights? What is the fairway being used for? If you want something at a low mowing height to look good you probably need a reel mower.

5. ecarey

ecarey LawnSite Member

Thanks so much for your help. I looked into the three recommended machines and I really like the Super Z (have you ever done an internet search on "Hustler Super Z" ... interesting!)
    Thanks again.
    Emily