recommendations

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I am probably signing up for the Cast workshop in Jacksonville. Does anyone know if there are any other workshops/seminars for lighting in SC or GA, also, can anyone recommend a good supplier/distributor? I am in the Hilton Head area.

Thanks. I read a lot of posts here. Info has been very helpful!

Mike

2. Landscape Illuminating

Landscape Illuminating LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Cooper Lighting is having a three day seminar in Peachtree City, GA at the end of the month. It is $500 however.

3. Mike M

from usa

Wow, I checked it out -- a three day course for $500. ;) Maybe the two hour trip to Jacksonville is a better idea than I thought.

Thanks for the info,

Mike

4. Landscape Illuminating

Landscape Illuminating LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Well, it is a Janet Lennox Moyer event. I'll be there!:dancing:

5. Mike M

from usa

I'll just buy her book. Is she hot? That's a long way from Maine... (LOL):drinkup:

6. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I would check with your local distributor, probably an irrigation supply company in your area. Sometimes they offer classes or can set you up in a nearby class.

7. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Chuck at florida outdoor lighting is a good distributor. Prices are on target and its only about 1-2 days shipping from you. I know Matt in the atlanta area buys from him too.

He does offer seminars for a very modest fee and sometimes free but they are geared more in the area of marketing it seems. I have seen the cooper lighting and wasnt that impressed by what I saw.

Moyer's book was educational but a bit hard to digest at times. Not sure how her seminars are but I assume thats about the going rate to attend one of her events.

If your really serious about this and cant choke down 500 to educate yourself in the field I would almost say stick with something you know. 1 good job paid for all my investments including research and tooling. Running a good business costs money. Besides if your a real business its a tax write off anyways.

8. Mike & Lucia

Mike & Lucia LawnSite Member

Gents,
    I attended the three-day gig at Cooper last November. JLM was the guest speaker last year also. UNBELIEVABLE!! I came home so charged up, it was well worth the investment. Jan is one hell of a talent. And the Cooper facility is second to nothing I've ever seen. They are truly committed to education and were very low-keyed about presenting their lines.

As much as I would recommend making the investment in time and money, I highly suggest doing lower cost manufacturer's seminars first. And definitely get some experience under your belt first. Otherwise you won't get as much value out of the program.

Mike

9. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I agree Mike. If you don't have a good working knowledge of lighting to begin with, Janet can be way over your head.

10. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

one way i learned alot was buying a variety of fixtures and experimenting with different techniques at my own home. Being deaf im not to huge on seminars. I get 90% of my info from hands on or thru the net.

There is no substitue for doing it and seeing with your own eyes what different lights do