Recommended site for IDing a tree

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JoPaKent, Jan 17, 2004.

1. JoPaKent

JoPaKent LawnSite Member

I'm considering removing a tree that's blocking all of the light from a client's back yard. From a distance, I thought it was a cedar, or more precisely, Western Red Cedar (WRC). But on closer inspection, I noticed that it's a bit different from neighboring WRCs and that there are a number of other trees just like it in the neighborhood.

Compared to the WRCs, these trees have paler foliage, and the branches are about 50% shorter. That is, the 50 foot WRC seem to have branches extending about 15 feet out from the base, while the base branches on one of these trees are only 8 - 10 feet out from the base. I think the bark may be a bit paler as well.

Is there an online resource you can point me to that would help me figure out what these trees are? For that matter, a site with pix and descriptions of common landscaping plants would be really handy on a regular basis. Is there such a site out there somewhere?

Thanx in advance,

2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

YES THERE IS!!!!!!

If you have a camera just post the pic on here and im sure you will find out your answer. Im not aware of any sites online, i use books and cd-roms if i dont happen to know what a plant is.

3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

You're up here in the NW and so you may want to try the following sites:

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/
    http://cahedb.wsu.edu/nativePlant/scripts/webMain.asp

When I worked with the OSU Master Gardener Dept. we would always check for e-mail. Normally I would suggest sending e-mail pics to them, but this time of the year there generally aren't any volunteers staffing the offices. Possibly a paid staff hortoculturist would check the e-mail.

You can also do a search, let's say on Google, and type in "plant identification university". From that you'll get more schools with plant ID tools.

4. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Does it sound like this varity of western cedar?

Thuja plicata ‘Zebrina’ Cupressaceae
    Zebrina (Western Red) Cedar or Arborvitae THEW-ya pli-KHA-ta

Conifer, evergreen tree, 40 ft (14 m) at maturity, broad, upright. Foliage "zebra-like", yellow striped, later more white striped.
    Sun to partial shade.
    Hardy to USDA Zone 7 Because of variable color, it has been assigned several names.

zebra cedar.jpg

5. JoPaKent

JoPaKent LawnSite Member

I'll get out there with a camera tomorrow and compare it with these pix.

Thanx

6. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

7. JoPaKent

JoPaKent LawnSite Member

I snapped a few pix (cedar tip, cedar trunk, & cedar profile) of the tree I'm trying to ID

I also took one of what I've been calling a Western Red Cedar for comparison purposes.

Thanks in advance!

8. JoPaKent

JoPaKent LawnSite Member

Here's another try. I made the picture smaller so it will upload.

cedars.jpg

9. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

im guessin red cedar

10. JoPaKent

JoPaKent LawnSite Member

The picture in the lower right hand corner is what I've been calling a Western Red Cedar. Are you saying that the tree pictured in the other three is called simply a "Red Cedar?"

Thanx