1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Recommended Size

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LawnCareNoobie, Jan 29, 2008.

1. LawnCareNoobie

LawnCareNoobie LawnSite Senior Member

Me and my Dad are trying to figure out what size of a mower(s) we should go with to start out, but we don't know what our yards will be like because we are just starting up and have yet to get many customers. What size mower do you recommend for someone who wants to buy a ZT or a couple, but doesn't have their accounts yet? The yards will probably very in sizes.

Also, is there ever a point where you have 2 people on a ZT at property with different deck size? My main concern is that if we get two ZT's with different deck size, is it going to make the yard look terrible if there are different sized strips in certain areas of the lawn?
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Tell me this...

Say for instance I am interested in racing, like I want to be the man driving the car.
    Considering I have no experience in this, do you think I should get the latest model stock car and enter the next Nascar series, and if so what do you predict the outcome and my odds of finishing even the first race would be?

If you said probably not very good but I probably would survive, I dare say that would likely be right.
    I might recommend, if I ever do this, you do attend because the wrecks ought to be worth the show.

I would consider something along the lines of a 40-44" floating deck WB instead, not only will it not kill you if you make a mistake but should your business fall in that 90% category of businesses that don't survive then you'll also not have as much investment lost.
    And no, it's not about yet another naysayer thinking you will not make it, it's about the statistical odds.

As for if I ever get into racing, I'll buy a used car and start down at the local track but don't hold your breath I was just playing with ya.
    And I do wish you the best of luck.
  3. LawnCareNoobie

Can anybody help me out? I got 21 views!

I tried searching for similar topic, but I keep getting some error message.
  4. LawnCareNoobie

Hmm, I see. I have seen a lot of people suggest starting out with a WB. But if the cash is there, is it a must? I don't mean to be lazy or anything, but using a WB for possible yards of an acre of more doesn't fly with me.
  5. Itzkcatz

Itzkcatz LawnSite Member
    from CT

Buy 2 used 48 inch fixed deck mowers a good string trimmer and a good backpack blower. If you think only one will mow only buy one 48 mower. I say fixed deck because you can find a good one for around 1200. If you make enough money and get enough accounts to warrent a bigger mower do so when the time comes so you wont put yourself in the hole
  6. LawnCareNoobie

Thank you for the response. We were thinking about 48 inches or up to 54. I guess we will have to see what good deals are around and see what we can get.

We already have a nice trailer, 2 weed whackers(upgrade later) push mower (another later upgrade). Basically we need either 1 or 2 ZTs and a WB.
  7. Itzkcatz

Itzkcatz LawnSite Member
    from CT

I started out with a fixed deck bobcat 48 belt drive and it was a great mower. I had a fs80r trimmer and a shindaiwa eb630. I pulled it with a 4x8 trialer and a 88 chevy blazer 2 door until i got enough acounts to need a new mower. i upgraded my truck to a small pickup with a blizzard plow which i sold and bought 2 dodge ram 2500's with bigger plows then i bought a 48 fixed deck exmark metro with a bagger and tine rake. i used 2 mowers till i needed more then i bought a new 60 inch exmark lazer z with a triton deck and stripper kit. but in the 2 years ive been doing this ive never regreted the way i worked up because ive always made enough money to live in my means
  8. Itzkcatz

Itzkcatz LawnSite Member
    from CT

Well i have a exmark metro with 50 hours comes with a bagger and tine rake in new condition for 2500 if your interested. Im gonna buy a 60 hydro in a few weeks
  9. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Start with a walkbehind until you see what size accounts you are getting. If you end up doing properties that are an acre, then purchase something like a 60 inch z, but then you will also have the walkbehind for smaller properties and if you end up with just smaller accounts and still want a z, then you can get something like a 44 inch z and won't be stuck with a mower too big for your lawns
  10. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

why not get a sulky? i think topsites is right, not saying you will fail but IF you do, you won't want to be sitting on an $8000+ mower it sells. at least i wouldn't want to.